How do you remove the Dynastart fan?

heinkeljb

How do you remove the Dynastart fan?

Post by heinkeljb »

As per the title. I would like to take the fan off so I can clean and paint it whilst i check on the brushes. I don't see how you can get a puller on it as the fan blades overlap.

I quite sure you have to apply some force to it even though it is on a parallel shaft with a key way to lock it too the shaft.

Many thanks,

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Re: How do you remove the Dynastart fan?

Post by Julian B »

I have never needed any form of puller; just undo the front nut and it "should" just slide off easily. Take care not to loose the woodruff key that prevents the fan turning on the main shaft.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hello,

I think if it doesn't come off by itself, you can hit from behind through the stator.

Kind regards,
C.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

I suppose hitting it gently from behind will have to do, but as there is very little clearance round the edge I don't really want to bend it. Particularly as the Invacar one on Ebay went for near enough £100 and I don't have a spare of that particular piece!

Might try tomorrow!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Wrong way, STOP! Do not beat on threads or blades.
With unit dismounted:
The fan is threaded for a special puller like the Pinzgauer. This method can also be done with a small press :D To free it up, first loosen and remove clamp holding dyna starter to the fan housing it has a lock pin . Next get 2 blocks of wood to hold it upright with a minimum of 30 mm clearance(approx) underneath.
Using a BRASS Drift and hammer or press, tap the center shaft or slowly press the center down, the fan will bottom on the housing holding it square. Once it pops loose it will pull off by hand :shock:

One last way is to use a early A/T universal front pump puller, it looks like a long 2 leg puller with clamping plate. If you know a seasoned auto trans guy, he may have one.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Thanks!!!

I must admit I didn't think it was that easy, or I would not have asked!

I'll remove the whole Dynastart along with the housing and have a look at the size and pitch of the thread inside the fan to see if I have a puller that is suitable. Failing that, I'll give Jim's method a go.

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I must admit that I have no recollection of any thread between the dynastarter fan blade hub and the dynastarter shaft - other than for the front nut holding the fan hub on. But perhaps we are talking about slightly different things.

Certainly removing the whole dynastarter from the engine will make things easier.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Jim,

I understand your method and it sounds more elegant than what I have done in the past. However I did also not hit the fan blades but only the "cup" part in the middle of the fan, without hurting anything.

I am not sure about the fan being threaded for a special puller. Where exactly would that be?

Kind regards,
Constantin
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Only some of the fans have threads on the interior bore .
If no threads use a bearing splitter and 2 jaw puller, fasten the splitter onto the fan hub.
I have also used a heat gun on the hub to expand the fan hub for stubborn ones with good results.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

So for all that i had planned to take the Dynastart to piece at the weekend came to nothing! Then during the week I only get a short time in the evenings when I could possibly do something, but I have ended up sorting out flat tyres instead!

So maybe this weekend? We'll see.

John