It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:25 pm 

Apologies for not following on to previous threads.

Haflinger technic have just quoted me £170 plus VAT for two headlights. This seems somewhat steep. Does anyone know if they were fitted to other vehicles. mine is a 1972 french civilian model so LHD needed.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Doug

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:07 pm 

Doug, Do you need complete units, or merely the conical reflector part? I have obtained the latter from Haflinger Technik in the past, and can't believe that they were that expensive. Swapping out the old reflectors is a two minute job.

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:00 pm 

Doug,

I don't believe the reflectors are handed, so any light direction is down to the Fresnel lens (ribbing) on the glass. That being the case you could do a rebuild job on your existing lights if you have the remains of the reflectors with the mounting brackets attached to them.

Any suitable 5.75 inch reflector with a hole for the side light should be able to be used.

Take the old reflector out of the rim by depressing the spring wires just inside the lip (watch out the don't "ping" out and fly away never to be found again)!

Place the new reflector inside the old one so the pilot light holes line up.
Mark on the outside of the old reflector a suitable line that will allow the bulb holder from the new reflector to go through.
Cut round the line on the old reflector.
Line everything up and "sandwich" the new reflector inside the old reflector, put the glass in place and use the wire clips to hold the two parts inside the aluminium trim ring.

If this is something you want to do and need more detail, I can dig out the photos I took when I did mine (before I changed them to HIDS).

John

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:20 pm 

The lights are disassembled and the issue is that at some point each lens has been epoxied to the reflector so splitting without damaging is going to be impossible. Looks like araldite has been used.

Cheers

Doug

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:39 pm 

If you are going to junk the reflectors in any case because they are rusty or damaged in some way, you could try putting the whole light unit into a bath of diesel for a few days, even araldite doesn't like that stuff much!

You could also be very careful with a "Dremel" type rotary grinding tool and grind off the araldite in order to separate the glass lens and the reflectors. As long as the 3 brackets that the mounting system uses are still attached to the old reflectors, then the idea above should still work.

You could of course, go for LED headlights as these are becoming more common and although expensive would allow you to fit them reasonably easily. They should also be at least as bright as the original glow worms whilst using less power.

John

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:49 pm 

Hi John,

Yep, your Dremel suggestion worked a treat, albeit at the cost of 3 cutting wheels. Thanks again for the idea.

Cheers

Doug

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:51 pm 

So it's on with the rebuild then?

New bits all over the place, old bits still in abundance - just needing to be brought together!

John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:19 pm 

Sounds as if you have been sneaking into my garage!

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700