Dynastart not charging

Adam

Dynastart not charging

Post by Adam »

Having a play with my dynastart that isn't charging. Really don't know where to start, saw on you tube that if you spin up the dynastart from a battery using jumper leads, then swap positive lead of jumper leads to the DF terminal on the dynastart, this should slow the spin of the pulley immediately, tried it and pulley continued to spin, leading to a fault inside the unit. While trying to sort out wiring on vehicle months ago we had everything ass about so may have caused some damage or short?? I am pretty confident all the wiring is correct now, I assume have to remove fan to be able to open up and clean/inspect?? Any hints on obvious problems or faults for me to start with??
heinkeljb

Re: Dynastart not charging

Post by heinkeljb »

To remove the dynastart:-

Remove the hot air cowl.
Disconnect the electrical wires. (make a note of which wires go where - easy take a photo!)
Use a peg to put in the hole in the fan to lock it whilst you undo the nut holding the pulley wheel in place.
Remove the belts - take note of where the shims go - again photos make an excellent way to keep a record.
Undo the clamp around the fan part - top screw AND loosen the bottom bolt otherwise you run the risk of setting up a metal fatigue fracture in that part of the clamp.
Now remove the Dynastart complete with fan.

Now you can rest the Dynastart on the fan end - just don't damage the shaft etc.
Undo the brushes shield and check all four brushes are long enough that the spring on each one is still resting on the carbon brush and not on the holder.
Clean the carbon dust - preferably NOT with an air line UNLESS you have a breathing mask and googles as the dust will do you no good!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Just be aware that when you refit the Dynastarter to the engine block there is a small peg in the metal casing that sits in the top of the engine block - about 3mm diameter and ~2mm tall. Easy to miss if you aren't looking for it. AIUI it is so that the timing marks line up properly.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Adam

Post by Adam »

Cheers John and Julian. I have the dynastart out, am aware of the lug in housing for timing thanks. Brushes look like they got heaps of life in them, any ideas on checking field coil or any other check I should be doing to determine why not charging?? Unless voltage regulator the problem??
Adam

Post by Adam »

Also a small piece of fibre washer??? Fell out of casing when I dismantled, not sure what it was???
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The work shop manual has a section on the Dynastart. I can not remember if it has any detail of resistances for the different coils. If you take the fan off - it is a push fit with a woodruff key fitting, you can then undo the various long bolts that hold the two ends in place.
The terminals are insulated from the body of the Dyanstart using fibre washers, so if like on my Dyanstart one has broken, it is possible you have a short circuit where you shouldn't have.
Have you checked the output fuse next to the voltage regulator? If that has blown, you won't get any charging of the battery.
The commutator might also be worn to the point the insulating strips are above the copper segment also leading to a break in the circuits that the brushes should make.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Fuse is all good, had to put all back together, will pull apart at a later date and get some auto spark help, will also read up workshop manual and anything else I can find, cheers.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Just took for a decent drive and charge light went out once revs got up, might be ok or I fixed it when I cleaned internals, will see what happens!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

If the light goes out only when revs are just above tick over then regulator is good. If light only goes out when you have high revs then the regulator is faulty - they can be adjusted BUT it is difficult!
There is a section in the workshop manual which explains how - but you might find it easier to replace the regulator with a good one.
You acan get an electronic one in the UK but it costs a lot. Some people have gone for a VW one but it is not QUITE the same and could allow your Dynastart to provide more power than the windings are rated for.

John

Adam

Post by Adam »

I think I have seen some regulators while browsing online. I will put some more effort into this one and see, thanks for help.