HT leads

Bigdougal

HT leads

Post by Bigdougal »

Ok, I have been an idiot again and forgotten to label my HT leads and distributor cap. Does the HT lead on the left hand side of the distributor cap (from back facing forward) go to the LEft hand cylinder head or the other way?

Cheers
Muppet.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Re: HT leads

Post by heinkeljb »

As far i as I know, for your engine:-

Facing the engine from the back of the vehicle, the left hand HT lead on the distributor goes to the left hand cylinder (No 1). The right hand HT lead goes either through the hole in the crank case that is behind the big crank shaft pulley wheel or over the top of the Dyanastart Fan housing.

Lurch originally had it behind the pulley wheel. Whilst I could start and run the engine at idle, every time I tried to increase the engine revs it would die! I changed the points, the condenser, the spark plugs, did the timing lots of times - but it would have none of it. In desperation, I took the HT leads off and discovered the some nice little furry thing had been hiding behind the pulley and nibbling at the HT and had exposed the central core! So everytime I increased the revs, the spark would jump the air gap behind the pulley wheel and no spark in cylinder two....

These engines don't run well on only 1 cylinder!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Wrong! Service manual states L cyl to far rt term.
Basically it works either way, but correct way is L plug to RT term , RT plug to L side of dist all models/years.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

So which way works better?

The parts book's exploded diagrams suggest that things are fitted the way I have described.

The owners operating instruction booklet has pictures showing the distributor and all show the HT leads with the LH distributor lead curving over towards the right hand side. There is NO mention that I could see in the Ignition timing section which actually states which lead goes to which cylinder.

I have seen engines with the HT leads both ways round. Also if you line up the crank pulley on the timing mark, it tells you to use the LH cylinder as No1. Most of the engines I have seen with the LH distributor HT lead going to the LH cylinder have been later 1970 > engines.

I must admit that I have not tried to set the timing with the HT leads the other way round as Lurch came with the leads describes as above.

I don't dispute that the leads could be fitted the other way round, so maybe i'll try this weekend if it isn't raining!

John

(Had a better look at the pictures and adjusted text to match)
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Just so happens I was working on this stuff today on my Haflinger.

Standing at the back of the car and looking forward I understand No1 cylinder is the left on the drivers side for a left hand drive and No2 Cylinder is the right on the drivers side for a right hand drive.

So I don't forget what goes where I have my Dizzy cap numbered.

So the lead at the rear of the vehicle is No 2 lead and goes to number two cylinder to the right.

No 1 lead is a little obscured but is closest the the fan tin so closest to the front of the vehicle and goes to No1 cylinder on the left.

So as Jim said = both ways will work.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

I just always set them up as left for left , right for right .
just logical .

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Ok,

Based on the replies, do I have to reset my ignition timing halfway through the channel tunnel :ugeek: :ugeek:
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Doug,

Given that the above suggests that it doesn't matter which way round you put the HT cables.

Everybody atleast seems in agreement that you use the left hand cylinder as No 1 (Timing is usually based on No 1 cylinder)

With the distributor cap off, but the arm in place. Turn the engine over clockwise until the left hand cylinder piston is at top dead center on compression. (take out the right hand spark plug, leave the left hand one in until you have worked out when it is on compression). The timing mark on the pulley should line up with the mark on the Dynastart fan case.
Now look at where the distributor arm is pointing.
That is the one to use for the short HT lead going to the left hand cylinder spark plug.

I actually don't believe it will run very well if you get it the wrong way round as I can't see how you can time it correctly. I think there are two different distributor fitted to engines.

Worst case, you will have to set the ignition timing twice!!!

John

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

This is why i think there are more than one sort of either distributor or at least distributor cap:-
distribtor.jpg
It looks like the leads are facing different directions between mine and Gary's engine.

John

p.s. it might be down to the fact that the two distributors are turned about 90 from each other judging by the capacitor and the clip that holds the top in place. So that could be the reason for using HT leads to different cylinders.

pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

ignitiontiming.jpg
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I have seen engines (including mine) with the HT leads set with the left hand side of the distributor cap HT lead going to the left hand cylinder and engines with the left hand side of the distributor cap HT lead going to the right hand side cylinder.

There must be at least two different distributors available as the operators manual states that as the points gap opens on the cam, the rotor arm should point the notch on the side of the distributor case. Which ever HT output on the distributor cap the rotor arm is then pointing at should go to the left hand cylinder.

John