Coil replacement question..

cascade.king

Coil replacement question..

Post by cascade.king »

I notice that the Bosch database lists their "Blue Coil" as the currently available direct replacement for the Haflinger.

Has anyone specifically used a blue on their Hafi? I put them on VW motors years ago, by I'm not sure of any pitfalls with the charging system.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
heinkeljb

Re: Coil replacement question..

Post by heinkeljb »

If you are running the standard Distributor and points / condenser set up, I can't see putting a "Blue" coil will cause any problems to the charging system if it is listed as a replacement.

There are two possible downsides:
One is the coil resistance is wrong and it draws too much current. Don't think this is a real problem as the coil is only energised for a small amount of time each revolution of the Distributor rotor arm.
Second is the output of the HT coil might be a bit higher that the original. The insulation on the HT leads should be more than adequate if they are in good condition, but if they are a bit old and tired you might get a bit of arcing from them which you did not get with the old coil.

So I would be happy to fit one on Lurch if I was in need of a replacement coil.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

They work just fine, done a few.
The blue is a 3.6-4 ohm unit, works well with Pertonix or points.
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Thank you, gentlemen.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder