wire from coil to distributor

ogdenenterprise

wire from coil to distributor

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Hi Everyone. I want to replace the wire that goes from the coil to the distributor, the wire is the shielded type with a braided cover. The photo shows the distributor end fitting minus the nut and seal. I cant figure out how to remove the shielded cover from the fitting so I can replace both wire and braid as they are damaged. Any suggestions of how, or where I can get a new end bit or a complete replacement cable.

Dave

my apologies it is the coil end
Attachments
distributor wire.jpg
heinkeljb

Re: wire from coil to distributor

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Dave,

My "guess" is that the braid is soldered into the fitting so applying heat would be the only way to take it apart.
The only other way would be to cut it off!

Maybe there is a parts supplier who has a stock of this particular part.

Another reason to have a "civi" version - any old piece of wire would do!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Razzle dazzle time, think of the braided part as a Chinese finger. Push both ends together, pull wire out, push a small Phillips screwdriver or dowel though both ends and re shape the braid. Push new wire through(14ga) then pull on both fittings while smoothing out the braided cover.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

You learn something new every day! Not having a military Haf to play with, I haven't had to do that task...

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try.
If anyone has a spare they would like to part with, please contact me and let me know how much you want for it.

regards
Dave
ogdenenterprise

I decided to replace the cable , this is the finished item. it cost me $20 for the cover, I super glued the ends of the cover to the fittings.

Dave
Attachments
coil to distributor cable.jpg
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Good replacement cable, but I though the reason for the military spec cabling was to prevent an EMP from turning your engine off!
In order for the sleeving to work correctly was for it to make electrical contact at both ends to provide a path for the electromagnetic wave to flow through the bodywork rather than the electrical system. Super glue will act as an insulator, Didn't the original system of twisting the sleeving to make it expand work to hold the ends on?

Minor detail as it still looks the part and obviously works the ignition system.

John

Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Not so much for EMP, but radio suppression....
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Not wishing to nit pick, but even as radio suppression the braid would need electrical connectivity from one end t the other. (There, I have been enough of a perfectionist nerd).

It still look a good replacement to an old and damaged original cable. If the braid ever comes unglued from the ends, then that would be the time to re-think how to fix the braid to the ends. Plumbers solder / flux and a heat gun spring to mind.

John