Old Age is Setting In

AustHaflinger

Old Age is Setting In

Post by AustHaflinger »

Last night I changed my wheels back from the 12" Yokohamas set to my standard 14" rims. After that, I thought I would take the Haffie for a drive in the cool of the evening.

Hmm switched on the lights and only the parkers came on - tail lights were on and hi beam would work but no low beam. Pulled the fuse cover and checked the fuses - all OK but I did manage to bend a contact on one of the fuses but got it sorted. Me thinks that maybe there is an other fuse somewhere so under the dash so under I go - nope but I did pull and move a few wires to check for a good earth etc - hmm nope no obvious issues.

After about 40 mins of looking I was getting grumpy and without low beam I could not go for my drive so it was time to put the car back in the garage. In doing so I pulled the light switch and the lights came on :idea:

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: Doh what a dummy, the reason the lights came was I had moved the switch to the low beam position - I had just spent 40 minutes trying to diagnose no headlights with the switch in the parker position - whats more I had switched it on and of about 20 times - always from parker to off and back on. What a dummy - or is old age setting in?

I then went for my drive and found the right hand indicators were not working - on inspection it was just the front indicator - haven't checked it yet but I suspect that when checking earths under the dash I did the opposite and loosened the earth for the indicator.

So the moral of the story - engage brain and the low beam light switch before spending 3/4 hour looking for a fault that does not exist :shock: :lol:

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Re: Old Age is Setting In

Post by Julian B »

garrycol wrote:So the moral of the story - engage brain ...
The other day I bought a magnetic "GB" sign on eBay to stick on the back of my new car, in anticipation of a trip to France shortly. As soon as it arrived I slapped it on the back but it fell off; not to worry, must be a plastic bumper so tried the tailgate. Still no joy.

Then it dawned on me that it is an all aluminium car ... :oops: :idea: :D
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Julian B wrote:Then it dawned on me that it is an all aluminium car ... :oops: :idea: :D
Silly old fart - hehe - I know what it is like to be one :lol:
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I did the GB sticker one on my Smart car - it's covered in plastic bits - no where to stick the sticker where it could be seen! Had to get one to stick in the rear window!

Also been confused by the two stage headlight switch whilst I was wiring in a "new" one. The one that came with Lurch was a non-original switch. So I wired in an original one, but wired it so first pull put headlights on and then second pull switched them off and put parking lights on! Took me a while to work out which wires to move..... :lol:

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!