My Horn Stopped Working

AustHaflinger

My Horn Stopped Working

Post by AustHaflinger »

Going for a drive the other day and I was sounding the horn to chase some kangaroos off the road. Beeped a few times and then the horn stopped working.

Started to look at it today - now power coming to the horn when the button is pressed. Confirmed the actual horn is OK (though the foam has seen better days - are these available).

I have the single fuse box on the dash and all fuses are OK - not sure what each one does but they are all OK.

So now I need to check that the actual switch in the steering wheel is getting power but dont know how the rubber button comes out the expose the switch inside.

So how do you get the rubber covering to the horn switch out without wrecking it?

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Re: My Horn Stopped Working

Post by AustHaflinger »

Ok - sorted how to get the rubber cover off - just prise out but mine was glued in so was a bit hard.

Power for the horn comes through an inline fuse (not the fuse box - maybe mine is modified) to the horn and then from the horn to the switch and to earth. When I first tested there was no power to the horn at all but after tracking the power through from its source there was power - so I suspect there was a dry joint in the in-line fuse/holder.

Now that I have pulled the switch out it will not stay in and it is not earthing though the switch itself is working ok - I suspect the fitting that earths to the steering column is not touching - possibly insulated by the rubber cover so I will look at this a bit further.

I have a nice new rubber cover to go in but of course I cannot find it :( - obviously put it away somewhere where I would not loose it now cannot find it - I should just stay messy.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Gary,

Other possibility is that the wire internally as it goes up the steering column has fractured. It does get wound up and then unwound every time you turn the steering wheel.

Might be worth while replacing it with "extra-flex" wire (the sort of wire that is used in multimeter leads). Maplin in the UK sells it as "Extra-flex".

The horn button uses a "C" shaped piece of wire to grip the Steering wheel boss and make the ground electrical connection. The centre wire comes up the steering column and has a standard "grub screw" arrangement to the centre peg. When you push the button, a plate makes contact with the centre peg.

As far as I know the Horn rubber ring is available from Haflinger-technik, which reminds me - I need one! Mine has become soft and soggy and has elongated and sagged out from the bottom of the horn...

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks John - I checked the wire running up and it all looks good. Not sure what the original problem was as there was no power to the system but there is now.

The issue I then had was that the C shaped extension of the switch internal wiring was not touching the inner steering wheel boss so not allowing power to go to earth with the horn pushed - I just pulled one end of the C out and it now earths - I had to glue the rubber of the switch cover back to the steering wheel boss as the previous owner had done as it would not stay in position.

So all good now.

Cheers

garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)