Dynastart failed

heinkeljb

Dynastart failed

Post by heinkeljb »

So I am sitting at the side of the road waiting for the RAC to send a recovery vehicle to fetch Lurch and myself. We went to a trial meet and on the way the charge light came on. Took the Dynastart out at the meeting and bits of a fibre washer fell out!
So rather than risk a short circuit or some other damage , I have made use of our RAC recovery policy- there in lies the rub - still at the side of the road 5 hours after the first Phone call!

Luckily, I have a backup plan!!! One of the guys at the trial lives reasonably close to where I live and is going to go home and collect his trailer and come all the way back to collect us!!!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Re: Dynastart failed

Post by Julian B »

That sounds like a nightmare! I _may_ have a spare that you could borrow if you need it? Embarrassingly I can't remember if there is one on my "spare" engine, but if there is (can check tomorrow), you can borrow it if it helps.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Thank Julian,
I have a spare at home, just didn’t bring it with me as didn’t think I would need it!

Biggest issue is no communication from RAC as to what they are doing.

I suppose it is my fault for telling them they shoildn’t Bother send one of their “ inspection vans” as he wouldn’t be able to fix it and that they should just send a flatbed! That probably screwed up their system!!!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I was still sitting at the side of the road 8 hours later waiting for the RAC and a recovery van or even one of their first contact vans! In the end, the organiser of the trails event came back with a trailer and we loaded up and he recovered me half way home. then as arranged, another member and his son, turned up with a trailer and we loaded up and were delivered the rest of the way.

These guys had to load up at the trials to go home, then come back with empty trailers to collect Lurch and me... Well done guys!

We are waiting to see what the RAC are going to do about the complaint that was lodged yesterday.

To get to the real connection to the forum, the Dynastart put the charge light on and both my ammeter and volt meter showed it was not charging whilst I was on the way to the trials. After the engine had cooled down sufficiently for me to touch it. I borrowed a 27mm socket to undo the Dynastart nut and with a set of spanners took it off. When I removed the cover over the brushes, other than the expected carbon dust the remains of a fibre washer fell out. Without taking it even further to pieces I couldn't tell where it came from. I decided that it would be better not to drive back home as there might be something in there that was not insulated when it should be and that would pose a fire risk. So recovery seemed like a good idea.

I am in the process of swapping the Dynastart over for the original one (which has been refurbished) and will then send this one off to be serviced / repaired.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Well I feel for you - a couple of weeks back my RRS failed to proceed within 5km of the Sydney CBD - only took 2 hours for the auto club to arrive - so 8 hours really sucks. I spent my time waiting downloading the auto club app that is supposed to show you on google maps where your service truck is - hmm only works when the vehicle finishes all its earlier jobs and is actually on its way so only was able to track it for the last 5 min.

Well on the forum you are the dynastart expert so you should be able to sort it all out.

Cheers

garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Could certainly take the Dynastart apart and sort the issue(s) out, but I am not sure I have the required spare parts. Fibre washers in there seem to be a. Bit of a strange size / shape. So I have opted to send it off to a company to get them to service it. They are reasonable on price and have all the right equipment to do proper load testing on it once it has been fixed.

In the meantime, I will install the original Dynastart this evening- bet you this was just Lurch wanting all his original equipment put back on!!!

John

Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Yep, probably best to send it in.

I'll bet the fiber washer is off of the starter positive post. They have a habit of spinning unless you lock the nuts with two wrenches while tightening, and there really isn't much space at all for the attached wire to move, something usually gives.

Which reminds me that once I have my move accomplished, I need to scan and post up the Lichtmaschine parts manuals for these Dynastarts.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch