Do VW Type 1 plug wire air seals work for the Haf?

Czechsix

Do VW Type 1 plug wire air seals work for the Haf?

Post by Czechsix »

Hopefully they do...mine are rotted out and swinging free, time to source replacements.

If anyone has a good source for them I'd like to hear about it. Also if anyone has found some that actually last a while, instead of oxidizing and breaking apart within a year.

Silicone would be nice, betcha those would last a while. No idea if they're available though.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
AustHaflinger

Re: Do VW Type 1 plug wire air seals work for the Haf?

Post by AustHaflinger »

I must admit I have no idea what you are talking about. Please explain!

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Hi Garry

These little guys...

Basically a rubber gasket that's flexible and fits over the hole in the tinwork that the spark plug fits through. They seal the hole, preventing air loss. Somewhere I'm pretty sure I've seen figures on some VW page regarding the difference between running the gaskets or not having them. Something like a 25 degree Fahrenheit difference in head and cylinder temps!

Since the head gnomes at Steyr Puch thought the gaskets were an appropriate part, who am I to second guess them and run without them?

The replacement wires I received a couple of years back had them installed already. The rubber flange was quite thin, and after about a year it has separated from the wire, rendering it useless. Wires still in grand condition, just need these little things on them.

-Greg
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Greg,
if you can find them, buy them! I haven’t seen them available separately. I suppose you could make your own. One way would be to put two pieces of metal with a suitable cut out for the cable and use a self tapping screw to hold them in position to reduce the size of the hole.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Ok - never seen or heard of them before - my Haf certainly does not have them. I would suggest not needed - I have run my Haf up to 46c outside air temp and the cooling air escaping around the spark plugs has not been an issue. My heads run at 55c in winter and 70c in summer.

I just checked my portfolio of haflinger pics and on the the very few close up engine pics not one had these "gommits".

Somehow if not important in our 40c + summers I dont think will be important in Alaska climates.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Interesting info Garry.

I might do an experiment, I've managed to find some of the flaps on eBay and they're coming in shortly. I'll run with and without them and do a few IR readings for comparisons. If it does manage to be something like a 25 degree difference, I think I'd run them anyway, a bit more cooling can't hurt, right?

Agreed that Alaska climate won't be an issue, other than maybe getting up to temp a bit more efficiently.

We'll see. I'll post results.
bestill

Post by bestill »

This is what he's after. I have only two of these which will be used on my army haflinger restoration. I got these from an old mate that had a heap of spares from a long closed haflinger dealership.
Attachments
P1030363.JPG
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Rubber grommets of the correct size - the ones with hole in the middle that can be bought from most auto electrical parts suppliers would work just as well - but in my view not needed at all.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)