LED Headlights

AustHaflinger

LED Headlights

Post by AustHaflinger »

Some years back I bought a 35w HID H4 globe kit to go into some semi-sealed beam reflectors that I have. However I never put them in and of course technology has moved on and the best options now is a 5.75 LED sealed beam kit. While I can buy kits of 4 lights for cars with 4 headlamps the only single or double kits are for motorcycles - in particular Harley Davidsons. While the units are fully sealed I am not sure that these will fit and seal to keep the rain out of the cabin for a Haffy.

So has anyone put in a LED fully sealed kit into their Haflinger and which kit did you use - also how good is it?.

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Re: LED Headlights

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Gary,

Like you I decided to change the original "glow worm" lights for something more modern and plumbed for an HID 25watt Kit car projector lamp setup. This with the ballasts takes 43watts per bulb. I made a plastic mounting ring that uses the original adjustment setup and just sealed the plastic ring to the metal of the headlamp bowl with outdoor silicon sealant.
I am not sure how you would mount those motorcycle LED units as they originally use two mounting hole on the sides of the headlamps. I am sorry to say you will probably have to purchase one to see how you could make a mounting system for it, but if you could get it in the headlamp bowl of the Haflinger with some sort of alignment arrangement you could try sealing the gap around the outside with outdoor silicon sealant or possibly some of that tape that you use to seal a gap down the side of a shower door. Not sure how nicely that would mould round a tight curve like a headlight, but might be worth looking into.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yes I agree - there are car units available but I would have to buy four - the other advantage is that these come with DRLs and indicators. I am hoping that someone may have fitted one of these modern lights and can advise how they work - ones for cars instead of bikes will be able to use the haflinger headlight adjustment system.

Of course I could just use the semi sealed H4 bulbs that I have and use modern halogen globes, the HIDs I have or even just by Hi/Lo H4 LED globes but I want to have my cake and eat it too :lol:

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

found this:-
https://www.bowerspartsonline.co.uk/lig ... mp-upgrade

But I doubt it has a decent beam pattern or that mounting them would be easy if you wanted to allow for adjustment in the up/down, left/right planes.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks John - that is the sort of thing that is listed for cars with quad headlights.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I think the LED light I linked to would work as single light per side on a vehicle, as they have a main and dip function. They are set for use in the UK or countries that drive on the left, so would need beam deflectors if used in Europe.
I think the biggest issue would be coming up with a mounting system that would not involve butchering the Haflinger's original mount system. I know of one Haflinger with LED head lights, belongs to a guy in Holland, but he has changed the mounting system to suit his light units. Also I think he has much higher power ratings on his light than are quoted for these ones.
One of the reasons I went for a HID system was not knowing just how much light the LED units can put on the road. Atleast with the HID you can see what they do as they are fitted to lots of other cars.

John