Regulator main fuse size.

Tajman

Regulator main fuse size.

Post by Tajman »

Having searched the manuals and looked in the Forum, I am confused as to the size of the fuse in the regulator. What i took out , which was working, was a traditional glass fuse 35 amp. It had a scorch mark on the paper in the fuse but is working no problem. My intention is to change the fuse to modern in line maxi blade.
On checking the wiring diagram which is the nearest to my Haflinger, I see that it lists item 31 as a 25 amp fuse.
I have been away a while but on return, quarantine/isolation has given me the opportunity to get the vehicle nearly finished. Also get some miles on the clock. I will post some pictures and descriptions soon.
Thanks in anticipation.
Jeff.
Sorry, when I attached photo it turned it on it's side.
IMG_20210705_122113628_HDR.jpg
heinkeljb

Re: Regulator main fuse size.

Post by heinkeljb »

The manual as you have found, lists the fuse at 25 amps. It is entirely possible that your Haflinger has had the fuse replaced at some point in the past with what ever that person had available.
The regulator could also be a different regulator from the original one as there is a Bosch one designed for the VW beetle which obviously makes it more available and it has a higher output rating than the original one. This unfortunately means that you can take more power from the Dynastart than it was designed to give. Not a good thing.

The 25amp fuse on the main output of the regulator allows for some leeway on extra power draw, but not a huge amount. Your 35 amp fuse allows for a LOT more current to flow before it will blow, thus allowing all the wiring from the Dynastart to the offending consumable to get very hot possibly to the point where the insulation melts off exposing the interior wires - again not good.

My guess is that the regulator went faulty and blew the original 25 Amp fuse. The owner either fixed or replaced the regulator and did not have the correct fuse available and so put what they had in place. Possibly the scorch mark was already there?

Either way, I would put a 25 AMP fuse in there as it will provide better protection to your Haflinger's wiring. I.E. It will blow before too much damage is done.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I had issues with my regulator a couple of years ago and actually replaced it - a Bosch with a Bosch. The issue turned out to be the fuse and ists connections - basically intermittent.

I replaced to original fuse arrangement with a 30 amp blade fuse and holder and not had any issues since.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Tajman

Post by Tajman »

Thanks for that.
Jeff.