Battery specs

Julian B

Battery specs

Post by Julian B »

Hello again!

I have just removed the dust sheets from my SWB Haflinger, showing it the light of day for the first time for 5 years :oops: :oops: :oops:

First task is to replace the battery; what spec do people recommend these days? Am I best going for a lead acid (standard) battery, or a newer technology? And should I just get the "biggest" one that will fit? What amp hours / CCA etc. The one I have is a Pavilion D095SMF (12v 540A(MIN)SAE, but that isn't listed any more.

Many thanks, and no doubt I will have loads of questions as I find more areas that need attention. I'm taking it to Hafling in northern Italy at the end of May, so need to crack on ...

EDITED TO ADD: An 097 battery similar to these would physically fit (but they are less long than the one I currently have). https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/types/097/
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Re: Battery specs

Post by AustHaflinger »

I cannot answer the question as I have a battery that is about twice the size needed - it is a large lead acid battery (the charging system is not suitable for a modern lithium).

The battery I have was in the car when I bought it 10 years ago - is still working but getting down these days and needs to go on charge after a few weeks of not being used. I need to replace it. The advantage of a large battery is that it has far excess charge than is needed to start a haflinger - my haf will start on as low as 11v as the battery has excess capacity. A normal little haf battery at 11v would not start the car.

If you are going to use the haf every day then a standard small battery would be fine but if laid up a lot then consider a larger lead acid starting battery - nothing special but put it on charge every week or so. Oh course the downside is that with only 20amp in the haf charging system it does take a bit longer to recharge when driving around but I have not found this such an issue.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Which ever Battery you finally plumb for, just make sure A: it can fit in the battery box and be held down properly so it can't move whilst driving (offroad as well) and B: it is a standard Lead Acid battery.
As Gary has mentioned, the Haflinger charging system is not suitable for charging modern AGM / Lithium batteries as it is not stable enough.

I would see if you can find a battery which matches what you already had in terms of dimensions and buy that.

Other things that will need attention are obviously all the normal service items, Oil changes for all the different oils. Grease all the grease points, check the brakes - before and after you have gone for a drive as it is possible that the wheel cylinder might start leaking due to going hard with non-use.

If you want some help, let me know and I can pop round.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

I have been using the same battery that I use in my ride on lawnmower. Its much better suited than say a group 42. My petrol heater fires right up with the smaller battery. No issues with starting whatsoever.
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Ive just replaced my battery about 2 weeks ago, this is in Australia.
I dont supose this will be available in the UK
Gold plus- MF66R, DIN65R
Nominal Voltage: 12
CCA @(-18°C): 720
RC @ (25�C): 120
AH: 70
Length: 277
Width: 175
Height: 175
TH: 175
Wet Weight: 15.3
Assembly: D
Post Type: STD
Other Features: CV, EL, FL, FDH, HE

Dave
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

That battery shows as being availabe in Australia, but not specifically in the UK with that name or code. Looking at the specs of the batery, we have a couple manufacturers who list batteries that have similar specs.
I don't know what the original battery specs would have been as I haven't read the parts book, workshop manual or the owner handbook looking for the Battery specs.

I would probably just go by the battery that was already in the Haf or if that was not available, go buy what ever battery I coud physically fit in the battery box.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!