Electronic ignition options?

jhon

Electronic ignition options?

Post by jhon »

Hi all! Yesterday the Haflinger started running rough, losing power and misfiring badly. I initially thought it was a fuelling issue, but after changing filters, fuel lines and cleaning the carb/jets with no real difference I moved on to the ignition.
Sure enough, the points gap had closed almost right up, the contact heel on the points was quite worn down. Mine doesn't have a piece of felt to lubricate the rotor which probably compounded the wear.

I adjusted the gap and reset the timing so it's now running a lot better.

To prevent this happening again (I think) I would like to fit electronic ignition. I've seen a few threads on here with mixed reviews and thoughts of the Pertronix unit. I've googled to see what is available and who supplies what - the only vendor I can see is Expedition Imports in the US.

Link here https://expedition-imports.com/mv121

There's also a vendor on Amazon, but not sure if this would fit the Haflinger distributor.

Link here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pertronix-1821 ... 452&sr=8-9

For those of you who have fitted electronic ignition do you have any recommendations, if so, any preferred types or vendors? (UK/Europe preferred).

I could stay with points - I know the technology, and to be honest they've served me and the vehicle well over the last eight years, however I also like the idea of 'fit and forget'.

As always, your thoughts and advice are appreciated!

John
heinkeljb

Re: Electronic ignition options?

Post by heinkeljb »

I would not buy the one you have linked to on Amazon - seems to be missing the plate you mount the ignitor on correctly, so you would probably have to make somethng yourself. At least if you bought from expedition-imports.com you know you are going to get something which is plug and play!

Advantages of sticking with points and a condensor - Well understood as to how they work. You are more likely to be able to fix / get going again after a break down involving points.

Disadvanatages - points gaps close up and need adjusting, pitting on the contact surfaces can make points not work. Spark at plug dependent on good contact surfaces.

Different electronic versions;

Points assisted, this is where you keep the points, but the electronics just use them as a switch with low current, no sparking so points last a long time. Gives a consistantly good spark. Can alway disconnect electronics and revert to stndard points. Disadvantages; points can still close up.

Full electronic ignition. Usually uses a Hall effect sensor instead of point. Magnet on the rotor part and once timing and gap are set there should be no need to have to reset the timing / gap as neither thing wears. Electronincs provide consistantly good spark.
Disadvantages; if and when they go wrong, they can be difficult to diagnose and not likey to fixed at the side of the road!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
jhon

Post by jhon »

I'm aligned with your thinking John; I'd be happy to stick with the points if I had more confidence that the contact heel wasn't so prone to wearing. I'm used to seeing a thick piece of felt with lube in it contacting the rotor - mine doesn't have that. You've got points - does your distributor plate have this piece of felt in it?
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I have the Petronix fitted to my Haflinger from Expedition Imports - works fine and is easy to fit. I carry the original points etc in my spares.

The only issue with Petronix is that it is sensitive to the resistance of the coil - I originally had a wasted spark coil and it would have blown my pertronix if I had used it - standard car type coils are fine - it is all in the instructions.

Expedition Imports were great when I bought the unit but I later lost the instructions when I removed the unit for some trouble shooting and they never responded to my emails for help - so take that as you will.

My points setup was good so fitting the Petronix made no noticeable difference but it is set and forget with no points or condensers to worry about.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
jhon

Post by jhon »

Thanks for the info Garry - now that I've got it running fine again I've decided to stick with the points set-up. I fixed a small bracket on to the points base plate with a piece of thick felt soaked in oil, that just contacts the rotor - hopefully that will keep it lubricated and slow the wear on the contact heel. I'll monitor the gap every few weeks and if that doesn't slow the wear I'll look at the Petronix unit again.

Cheers

John
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

John - I have a Pertronix set that I bought in the US several years ago but never plucked up the courage to fit it. Must get over it and just fit it some time!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Julian,

If you want some help fitting it, let me know and I can come and help.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
jhon

Post by jhon »

Julian, if you do fit it, post up how you get on and if you notice any immediate benefits - thanks!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Thanks John, will let you know. FWIW I have a Pertronix Ignitor "MV-121 - Ignitor 12v 2 cyl Haflinger", https://expedition-imports.com/mv121

Cost me USD 140 from Expedition Imports in 2014.

A scan of the instructions is attached below & also a photo of the box contents. Looking at the instructions again, I am not surprised that I gave up with it in 2014 - points 2-5 inclusive in the Before Installing section are all gobbledygook to me!
Attachments
IMG_8681.jpeg
2014-05-27 Pertronix.pdf
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 91 times
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Shouldn't be that difficult to install. we can check point 2 - 5 on a spare distributer before fitting it for real.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

As I indicated I have it fitted and just followed the instructions - straight forward but do a resistance check of the coil - must be above 3 ohms on the primary coil or you will burn the unit out.

I had removed the Pertronix for some diagnostics and did run the car for a couple of years without it and when I put it back I had lost the instructions but still managed it.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Worked out how to check resistance of the coil (3.6 ö), so that is fine. But I can't remove the points base without removing the distributor body from the engine as I can't get to the three screws on the outside, and I really don't want to muck up the timing. So will try again another day.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yes the distributor does need to come out - set dissy up on TDC - mark positions up before removing and then reinsert with marks and rotor on TDC - should then start and refine timing with a timing light. Easy peasy.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)