fuses

ogdenenterprise

fuses

Post by ogdenenterprise »

As mentioned on a previous post I made a new wiring harness for my rebuild, my haf has 2 fuse boards on the dash board , can any one tell me what rated fuses are needed for the different positions. I connected all the wires ,as they were origianaly connected to the fuse board. my second question is can any body tell me what each fuse supplies on each board so I can make sure I replace all the old fuses with correct ones in their right position.
Dave.
heinkeljb

Re: fuses

Post by heinkeljb »

My Hafilinger also has two fuse boxes and none of the wiring diagrams I have seen EXACTLY match my vehicle.
There was a wiring diagram posted in the UK Haflingers club magazine which is much nearer than the ones in the repair manual, but it is still not quite the same.

So I believe they more or less put the things together as the man on the assembly line felt that day. It would go through "quality control" as long as everything worked if and when it was tested!

Mine is right hand drive if it makes any difference. I could take some photos and mark them with what values mine has - but I can not guarantee that they are correct.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

Thanks John that would be most appreciated , if anyone else could help as well that would also be appreciated.

Dave.
Markus
Site Admin

Post by Markus »

Use the wiring diagram to work out which fuse position is for what by the colours of the wires coming from the fuse.

Hope this helps.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I don't know that this is any help but this is my fuse box layout.
fuse boxes.jpg
fuse boxes.jpg (171.95 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
The white fuses are 8 AMP and the Black ones are 15 AMP.

All I can tell you for certain is that the bottom two white ones on my Haflinger were not used when I got it. I have since wired them up to provide a 12 volt car accessory socket so I can charge my phone and to provide a fuse for hte Led lights I have added.

The wiring diagram I have which is in volume 24 number 1 2013 of the Halinger and Pinzgauer club UK magazine is the closest I have found to the actual wiring in my Haflinger (1973 LBW). The various ones in the repair manual have LOTS of things which do not match and you would have to take a bit from this one and a bit from that one to get something that fitted my vehicle.

So all I can suggest is that you decide on one or other of the wiring diagrams, and wire your Haflinger to match it. That way, if you ever have to trace any wiring , you will know where and what it does.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

Hi John, I installed the wiring harness some time ago and connected every wire as they were originally installed,and every thing seems to work (I took notes and photos of the connections to both fuse boards).The original inquiry was what size of fuse needs to be fitted to each circuit ( lights/wipers/etc )as there was a mix match of different size fuses in different positions, unlike your photo of the 2 fuse boards.At the moment I have all 8 amp fuse fitted but I have not had chance to give the vehicle a good running test.Would it be possible to up load the wiring harness diagram which you mention just to compare with the way mine is wired.

Dave
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Here is a reduced resolution copy of the wiring diagram. The original I took with my phone camera is 2.8mb so won't post on here. I have put it in my Google drive so it theory can share it with people if they want. Send me a PM if you are interested.
Wiring diagram for a Haflinger.jpg
Wiring diagram for a Haflinger.jpg (95.01 KiB) Viewed 5498 times
John

Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hello Dave

Ive checked an early copy of the handbook, the Australian Army issued handbook, and a late handbook and none of them are specific about what capacity fuses for each circuit, only that 8 and 15 amp fuses are used. Ill have a look at the army haffy to see if I can discern any differences in fuses used between circuits. cheers

Rick
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hi Dave

Just following on, my Australian Army Haflinger, which is wired similarly to the later civilian models (duel fuse boxes), uses only a single 15A fuse (black) on the headlight circuit, and all others are 8A (white). Everythings works well and as it should. Thats not to say its the original fuse configuration, but it seems to work fine. Thats all I can suggest in absence of any Steyr Puch guidance. Hope that helps.

Cheers

Rick
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

I thought the "breaker" type set-ups were all 8a on each circuit?
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

If the headlights are wired in parallel and by themselves then they consume 70Watts (70/12=5.83 Amps) so within an 8 amp fuse rating.

If they include the rear lights in the circuit, these seem to vary on power consumption depending on which type of light fitting you have. Given they are 5watt a piece then that is an extra 10watts (10/12= 0.83A) so still under an 8 amp rating.

The only things I can think of that might take more than 8 amps are the windscreen wiper motor and the horn, but neither of these should take more unless there is something else also on the same circuit.

So it would appear that all the fuses could be 8amp and still work.

John

ogdenenterprise

Thanks for all the help /suggestions I will test all the circuits with 8 amp fuses fitted when I finish the engine rebuild ,I am waiting for parts to arrive ,received the tin work from the blasters yesterday ,all ready primed so they are ready for the top coat .

Dave
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

I found this thread while trying to find out what each fuse feeds.

My non-original dash looks like at some stage it had two fuse boxes, but there is just one now. I have found that the blue fuse in my fusebox is for the wipers (while trying to get them to work !!). As for the rest, I have no idea what there are for.

Mine is a lot more colourful than other suggest it should!!
Attachments
48421186_587082388409497_1083363701794275328_n.jpg
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The different colours usually donate different fuse ratings. If you remove a fuse and look at it carefully it should have a number on it. That would be it’s rating.
If you need to know what value you could put in a circuit - tell me what the circuit is running and the wattage.

John

wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

heinkeljb wrote:The different colours usually donate different fuse ratings. If you remove a fuse and look at it carefully it should have a number on it. That would be it’s rating.
If you need to know what value you could put in a circuit - tell me what the circuit is running and the wattage.

John
Thanks, John - I know about fuses. What is the best way to find out what each fuses is running? It's very hard to tell from the wiring diagrams.

Regards

John W
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Two methods - neither are very easy!!

1: You disconnect the battery and then follow each wire from a fuse to either the battery or to the item it powers. You might need to use a multimeter to figure out which wire is which when it goes down the main wiring tube on the front footwell. Easier if your multimeter has a continuity feature with a buzzer.

2: you leave the battery connected and pull each fuse it turn and then switch on every power consuming item and see what dowsn’t work!

Make notes which ever way you do it as your memory is not as good as you think it is!

Obviously, method one if done properly can be drawn up into a wiring diagram for your particular Haflinger - the amount of detail it has depends on you.

Method two will not tell you what colours the various cable are, but will tell you which fuse runs which item(s).

John

wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

I guessed that would be the case. Method 1 is too technical for me!! Method 2 is what I thought about trying as lots of non-original wires are under my dash. The trouble is every time I go out to my Haf, it wants to go for a drive, and so no research gets done!!

Thanks for your help, John - I appreciate it.

John W