indicator switch

AustHaflinger

Re: indicator switch

Post by AustHaflinger »

ogdenenterprise wrote:I haven't kept a tab on how much I have spent on it so far as some of the things I have purchased or had done have been cash sales , all I know it is thousands of dollars but to me personally it has been worth every cent I have spent on it.

Dave .
That is the smartest decision you made - what you don't know can't hurt you. :D

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I am not that bothered about the total amount I am going to have to spend on it - the moment yo ustart running a vehicle it has ongoing costs!
The problem is I had money set aside to purchase the vehicle with an amount for spares / repairs to get it road worthy. The indicator switch is a worthy candidate for money, but as it currently has a working alternative and I have spent all the money on all the repairs I have already done which are critical to getting it moving in the first place. The other things like the switch, the seats, rear hood etc will have to wait.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

I can pretty much echo the comments regarding the value in restoring versus maintaining oddball vehicles like the Haflinger. Restoration is definitely a huge labor of love. The restoration cost will easily be double what the market is willing to bear. Extremely good Haflingers in North America can fetch prices in the $12k-$14k range but I certainly would not accept that price for my restored '69 Canadian Hafi. I had very personal reasons for restoring my Haflinger to the quality level it is now. I would expect few others to have similar conviction.

The thing is that the cost of a full canvas Haflinger in Canada in 1969 was $3595.00. At that time a large family sedan or a V8 powered Mustang was about the same price. Thus this made the Haflinger seem to be a very expensive "toy" in the day. By comparison today, a new decent sized family sedan or V8 Mustang costs $35k to $40k so a restored Haflinger is grossly undervalued at the prices we are seeing. If you consider the comparative rarity and the technological importance of the Haflinger in the automotive world then more insult is added to the equation.

For lots of reasons I truly love Haflingers and feel they are a great treasure to be admired and respected for what they are. I sincerely hope that they will be around for many generations to see even if only at a museum. I'm all in favour of others who drive and enjoy their Haflingers to their intended purpose and applaud those that faithfully maintain them. I have a considerably different opinion of those who abuse, modify or try to radically "improve" on the performance aspects of the Haflinger in an attempt to make the vehicle be something it was never intended to be. After all you don't see radical mods done to a Gullwing Mercedes or early Porsche 911 because this severely devalues these cars even though by today's standard these cars are honestly a piece of s#!t to drive.
I admit it, I'm a purest when it comes to the Haflinger even if it drives my buddy Sandy MacMillan nuts :P . But I really shouldn't complain as the fewer original Haflingers that exist, the more valuable they should become...I'm definitely OK with that as they truly deserve it. :D

Cheers,
Steve
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

HaffyHunter wrote:After all you don't see radical mods done to a Gullwing Mercedes or early Porsche 911 because this severely devalues these cars ...
At the risk of thread drift, sadly some people have more money than taste. Have a look at this shocker! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Julian,
That's a great example of why I often ask; Why if it's worth doing is it not worth doing right?
Thanks,
Steve
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I have dismantled the indicator switch , as far as I can see it is the internals of the outer cover that is broken,where the stalk clips to the body you can see 2 little bits that are at right angles to the stalk these clip into the outer body and as you can see they are broken. I have ordered a new cover from Dale at Haflinger tecknik.
Attachments
indicator internal contacts.jpg
indicator internal contacts.jpg (226.23 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
indicator body.jpg
indicator body.jpg (208.03 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
indicator stalk.jpg
indicator stalk.jpg (163.47 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Can you take some pictures of the little bar which goes across the two electrical contacts shown in your first picture and fits in the slots shown in the second picture please?

I appear to have the base part more or less intact which has the electrical screw connections, but the rest is just small pieces of plastic on the bottom of the box of bits I received when I bought my Haflinger.

Many thanks,

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

Help. I got a new outer cover from Haflinger Technik yesterday , so I reconnected all the wires ( indicators work ok ) but the head lamp flash still does not work .I have connected the 2 wires together and the head lights work, when I press one side of the inner terminals down the lights work. the only parts I have are the 3 pieces in the photos, have I anything missing ?

confused Dave.
maxhafli

Post by maxhafli »

Hello Dave,

I see from the photographs, I think it is missing a spring and another piece that works as a rocker.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

That's the bit I asked for a photo of (would be nice with some dimensions as well). I have found a spring which looks like it fits over the center sleeve - it would hold the lever with the cross bars up against the inside of the cover which, presumably makes sure that the headlight flash system does not work unless you over come the springs resistance.

John

Minipnz

Post by Minipnz »

When I restored my Haflinger I installed a VW bug turn signal switch. It doesn't cancel, but it does work and mounts perfectly. I made a washer to cover the components on the top side.
ogdenenterprise

I contacted Dale at Haflinger Tecknik last week and I have a trafficator stalk rubber cover, a spring and the insulating rocker in the post on its way to Australia. I will post a photo when they arrive.
Dave
ogdenenterprise

I received these parts on Friday, I have just fitted them but not had chance to test them yet. I have just removed the gearbox as I am having trouble selecting 2/4/5. every thing seemed ok on the rebuild. I will keep you posted as to what I find.
Dave
Attachments
trafficator parts.jpg
trafficator parts.jpg (283.43 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
Ian

Post by Ian »

ogdenenterprise wrote:Hi Max, like Johns comment if you have one for sale I would like to purchase one , if required I can send you my faulty one as a exchange + costs. If the parts are not for sale please would you add some photos. I rang my last contact this morning Mr Andrew Davidson but unfortunately I was told that he passed away 2 weeks ago.
Andrew purchased all the Haflinger spares at a government sale when they decommissioned Haflingers on Naval ships in the UK.
Hi Dave,

Off topic, but I just read your post and sorry to hear about Andrew. I'm originally from England and went up to see Andrew a few times in the late Eighties to get parts for my Haffy. He had barns full of brand new haffy stuff just lying amongst the hay and stuff on the floor. If you could find it, it was yours for a fair price.

Ian.
ogdenenterprise

Hi Ian,
Unfortunately the Haflinger world lost a great deal of knowledge when Andrew passed ,I last visited him about 4 years ago,and spent a couple of hours with him. from the start to the end of the visit he talked of nothing but Haflingers, what he had done with them and how to repair different things, like alternative parts. The time seemed to pass so quickly, I wish I had written it all down but it started on one subject then it would go off course to a different one. I dont know what happened to all the parts, maybe they are still scattered round the barns.

Dave