indicator switch

ogdenenterprise

indicator switch

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Can anybody help , do you have a spare indicator switch that I could purchase off you, new or s/hand, mine has stopped working. I have checked for 12 volts to the switch but there is no feed to the r/ hand indicator and also the headlamp flash does not work either, I spoke to Tony Hrelja yesterday , he advised me he has never had any luck trying to rebuild one as when you remove the rivets all the contacts and springs go everywhere, but he has some of the parts available. I am trying to keep everything as original as possible.

fingers crossed Dave
HaffyHunter

Re: indicator switch

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Dave,
I'm afraid I don't have a spare switch for you but have been able to repair mine. Yes the springs are a challenge and so are the brittle bakelite plastic parts but they are repairable with considerable patience. Robert Prokschi sells replacement lever tips and end covers. Maybe he also has complete mechanisms but I'm not sure as I didn't ask. You could also try Autoquariat. Note that later models and Pathfinders have a different switch design than previous models.
Cheers,
Steve
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

There is a market for these switches as I am in need of one as well. I have the remains of the original one from my Hafilinger, but as it was lots of pieces in the bottom of a box full of other "grot" that came with the vehicle, I have started using metal epoxy resin to put some of the bits back together and to fill in bits which are missing.

The head light flasher circuit is just under the top cover and is operated by a bar pushing down on two contacts. Two most likely reasons it does not work are that the bar is worn so much that it does not move the contacts enough. That the contact surfaces are corroded and pitted.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

I am not having any luck sourcing a replacement indicator switch , I was mistaken saying the indicators did not work , that was me that had made a wrong connection, but the headlamp flasher is faulty. Steve can you offer any advise regarding stripping and repairing of the switch.
Dave.
maxhafli

Post by maxhafli »

Hi Dave,

I repair these indicators switch, I should have 4 ready, if you want I can insert some photos.

Regards. Max
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Dave,
I don't have much advice on the repair other than to be very gentle with the plastic parts as they are extremely fragile. I carefully ground the open ends of the rivets with a fine stone in my Dremel tool. I tried drilling the rivets with a drill bit but this method was too course and cracked the plastic on my first attempt. I had a couple of spare switches which were broken in one or another ways and was able to scavenge from these to rebuild one good unit. I also bought the new lever end and cover from Robert Prokschi.
Cheers,
Steve
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Max,

You say you have 4 useable indicator switches? Are they for sale and is so how much?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

Hi Max, like Johns comment if you have one for sale I would like to purchase one , if required I can send you my faulty one as a exchange + costs. If the parts are not for sale please would you add some photos. I rang my last contact this morning Mr Andrew Davidson but unfortunately I was told that he passed away 2 weeks ago.
Andrew purchased all the Haflinger spares at a government sale when they decommissioned Haflingers on Naval ships in the UK.
maxhafli

Post by maxhafli »

Hi Dave & John,

I hope that the electronic translator performs well!

I buy new plastic and rubber. and shelter the body of the indicator, not more I mount the rivets because it is not possible, but put two small washers when remount the indicator.

I've always had all gone so well, more can not be done!

The price is 65 euro an indicator plus shipping, there are only 25 euro fee for the new material ....... .

If you want to buy a new one for Puch 500, must then adapt it for the Haflinger, here is the link http://www.ebay.at/itm/Steyr-Daimler-Pu ... 3a7e77e69b

I hope to be understood with the electronic translation..... :)

Sincerely

max e-mail [email protected]
Attachments
frecce2.jpg
frecce2.jpg (77.02 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
frecce1.jpg
frecce1.jpg (67.42 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
frecce.jpg
frecce.jpg (102.65 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
maxhafli

Post by maxhafli »

I hope that at least the link there is a help ....... thanks! ;)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I am definitely in need of an indicator switch and obviously an "original" type one would be the ideal. Unfortunately, it will have to wait a while at that price, I have spent so much on re-building the front hubs / steering / brakes that I have used up all the money I had set aside to pay for repairs on the Haflinger when I bought it a few months ago.

I never thought it would be such a bottomless money pit!

So, thank you very much Max for having the switches for sale, I will hopefully come back to you in a while to see if you still have some for sale.

John

HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,
I don't know which phrase applies best to Haflinger repair. It's either "bottomless pit" or "the sky's the limit" :lol:
Just ask my missus, she'll claim we could have bought a tropical island for what I've poured into my Haflinger. Joking aside, if you see a part that you need or expect to need for your Haflinger then buy it now as you may never find another. The parts are vanishing quickly.
Cheers,
Steve
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:I never thought it would be such a bottomless money pit!

John
Tell me about it :(

But silly me am thinking about getting another one to fully restore so I will have one to drive and one to show, :?
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Why have two - Won't one do both show and drive? :}

I like the idea of having more, just can't justify it. Having a working 4x4 and a 2 wheel drive car and use of a Ducati 400ss will cover all transport requirements.

I agree about buy spares when you see them, trouble is having the money available at the time! Life requires money to go into other things as well.

John

Rick K

Post by Rick K »

The trouble is you cant get a good Haffie cheaply now days unless you are a good haffyhunter (perhaps Steve is good at this). Not sure what the European and North American market is like, but it may cost near $15,000 for a good one here (judging by recent sales), and I cant say Ive seen a fully restored one come on to the market in recent times. I suspect you would never get your restoration costs back. It can only be a labour of love.

I think buying a Haffie at the cheaper end of the spectrum will cost you more in the long run- if my personal experience is anything to go by. It hurts to tally up the receipts and invoices.

cheers

Rick
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

If people restore vehicles and expect to get their money back - they are dreaming. I agree that buying cheap is not cheap in the long run. I have never "restored" any of my vehicles as it is not financially viable but have brought my cars back to good usable condition as I like to drive them. However I know the money I spend on just bringing them back to usable vs restored and I shudder to think of the cost of just doing that.

Your right - the costs of Haffies is certainly going up and some go for silly money but there is the market for them as they rarely come up for sale. So when they do come up the decision is often do or buy or wait for the right one noting it may never come up for sale.

Having read this thread I am glad that my indicator stalk is all OK at the moment and might keep my eye out for a spare to go into my parts list for future use.

Cheers
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hi Garry. In case you and others didnt see this one at auction (Shannons, Melbourne) mid last year, she fetched $15,000 through some determined bidding. I think its set a new benchmark (with a few sales around $13,000 prior). This was a nice haflinger, with reconditioned engine, no major rust and in roadworthy condition (which is rare over here), but the most common 700APT type and un-restored. See some photos attached. It would be nice to find the new owner- from Gippsland I believe. However most haffies that come up on ebay etc are in no-where near as good condition, with an average price will still at $6000-8000. These ones are the money pits- but still worthy of TLC of course!

Sorry- strayed from the original topic a bit.

cheers

Rick
Attachments
Shannons Auction 2012 #1
Shannons Auction 2012 #1
N4D1A1V9J1M1U3M1_large.jpg (70.22 KiB) Viewed 2857 times
Shannons Auction 2012 #2
Shannons Auction 2012 #2
R1A3E0R9C5O4I5S5_large.jpg (75.14 KiB) Viewed 2857 times
Shannons Auction 2012 #3
Shannons Auction 2012 #3
E7Y5J1P1H5Z3X9Q9_large.jpg (86.07 KiB) Viewed 2857 times
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

The Toy Shop in Sydney sold one for 18K a couple of years back.

Yes we have got off the topic.

Sorry

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Yep, I went to have a look at that one as it not far from home. Nice example, but it's ID plates were confused. That mob are very good at waiting for the right buyer.
ogdenenterprise

I started like everybody else, purchased a Haflinger ( I have owned several previously so I knew what I was in for ),found it need work doing on the engine, then the gearbox, so I then made the decision to completely restore it. This is the first complete rebuild I have done. I haven't kept a tab on how much I have spent on it so far as some of the things I have purchased or had done have been cash sales , all I know it is thousands of dollars but to me personally it has been worth every cent I have spent on it. The satisfaction of sourcing parts from all over the world and making new friends, I have spent hours & hours looking at photos etc to try to get everything back to as original as possible makes it all worth while. I plan to road register the vehicle when everything is complete ,the jurys out on whether to keep it in show room condition or use it off road.

Dave .