Towing electrics

ogdenenterprise

Towing electrics

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I am about to fit a towing socket on the rear of the Haflinger, can anybody tell me where the socket was usually attached to the body,does it depend on where it is mounted,eg RHD / LHD?
Dave
heinkeljb

Re: Towing electrics

Post by heinkeljb »

My RHD LWB has it on the left hand side of the engine bay.
Trailer Socket.jpg
Trailer Socket.jpg (91.56 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
Showing it in position.

I don't suppose it makes much difference which side it really is as the cable from the trailer will have to be long enough which ever side it is on.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Mine is at the same location on my Series II Hafs, but AIUI the earlier Haflingers didn't have the bulge in the engine bay wall to take the socket. What vintage is your Haf, Dave?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
ogdenenterprise

Its a 68 Lwb with Carello rear Lights, there are blanking covers where you have the trailer socket mounted.
Dave
Attachments
blanking plates.jpg
blanking plates.jpg (230.61 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
walderse

Post by walderse »

Dave,
Our LHD 703 APK also has its trailer light connector located just to the left of the rear engine bay access door. This appears to be the most common location.

Take care.
Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
ogdenenterprise

Thanks everyone, it looks unanimous to fit the socket on the left.
Dave.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Dave,

Just been looking through the posts on the web site, for no other reason than I was bored! Came across this post regarding the position of the towing electrics socket. Having looked a few "new to me" Haflingers at the Dutch treffen the other month, it occurs to me that if your Haflinger has "blanking plates" where my one has the socket fitted, it could well be that originally your Haflinger had it's rear lights in those positions. I only have one terrible picture (as far as the lights in question go), that shows a red oblong light fitted where your blanking plates are.

I am sure someone must have a better photo of that sort of rear light.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

Hi John,
The Carrello lights and the light fixing plates are listed in the parts manual, the wiring harness has not been extended or altered so I can only presume the lights are original.
I purchased the last of Tony Hreljas (Melbourne Australia) stock of Carrello rear lenses about 2-3 years ago.

Dave
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Dave,

Just had a quick look at this page:-
http://tdc.haflinger-4wd.com/
and bottom left of the pictures shows the lights I was talking about. It is quite possible you have a vehicle which started life with a platform which would have had those lights and they fitted another sort if they didn't have any of the original ones in stock.
Nothing to say yours isn't original, just weird that it has blanking plates where these lights would have been fitted.

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Here is a close up of my 1962 rear light cluster - the single light does tail / brake / indicator all in, behind a red lens. Not sure when they changed to a different system, but almost certainly any changes were brought in to meet local demand / regulations.

In the UK combined tail / brake / indicators behind a red lens were legal on all vehicles first used before 01-SEP-1965. Thereafter orange lenses were compulsory.

Perhaps Dave's body was built before the Australian regs changed, but the local CKD factory "upgraded" things & fitted blanking plates and new clusters from the start?
Attachments
L1000769 2.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hello,

in Austria, the law was changed in 1967. From then on, all vehicles had to be fitted with yellow indicators. It seems to me, however, that in 1968, Haflingers were partly still produced with the red tail lights only.

Haflingers for countries like Great Britain, Italy and Australia already had yellow indicators at an earlier stage. It fits e.g. well together with what Julian said - in GB, Haflingers were equipped with Carello rear lights in late Series 1 to include a yellow indicator. In Australia, e.g. the Army Haflingers from 1966 had yellow indicators added to the regular red tail lights. Civilian Haflingers were partly fitted with Swiss Army mud guards and tail lights, also including a yellow indicator.

I think that David's LWB Haflinger is original, the triangular mud flaps with Carello lights look fine for me. It could only be that there were also reflectors fitted at the bottom tip, I think the holes are still there. The holes in the engine compartment were possibly factory closed with lids as they were not needed.

Kind regards,
Constantin
ogdenenterprise

I spoke to Tony Herlja yesterday , he confirmed that Haflingers delivered to Australia from Austria had rear lights fitted as Julians photo, at a later date they came supplied with Carrello rear lights, so they were not a Australian production line change and the blanking plates were factory fitted.

regards Dave