Tacho

AustHaflinger

Re: Tacho

Post by AustHaflinger »

Both of those positions look great.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Steve, That looks really nice!

Armed with a strobe with an rpm dipslay I now find that my VDO tacho displays completely duff info (either about double or about half true rpm?) on all dip switch settings, so I am not hopeful that the pot screw will be able to get it right :oops: . Maybe I should have been more demanding of VDO when I asked whether it would be OK. Hey Ho!

Steve - does the tacho that you have have the "Drag Specialities" logo on the lower section of the dial? All the vendors I can find sell that tacho with the logo, which in an ideal world it would not have. Such as http://www.dragspecialties.com/products ... tId=125566
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Julian,

Sorry to hear of your woes with the VDO tach. Perhaps they have another version of that type which might work better in a Haffy application.

My tach does not have the DS logo but I noticed that the latest offerings do. I agree, not ideal but could likely be easily removed with a little disassembly. The other thing my tach does not have is a rev limit pointer but perhaps later models do. This isn't really a big deal as I simply put a short length of red pinstripe tape on the lens at 4800rpm which did the trick nicely.

As I mentioned previously, I'm very pleased with my tach. I think it looks pretty good and functions very well. A perfect match to the look of the old VDO instruments would be nice but what would be the point as we all know that a tach was not an original option for Haflingers.

Cheers,
Steve
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Just to cconfirm that I now have working tacho in my Haf. IMHO it looks pretty good & "authentic" too. I will play about with the mounting soon, to make it look better, but in the interim it will give me more confidence than I had before. I have cross checked it with a tacho gun with a digital readout, and for all revs (@ 500rpm intervals) the tacho & the gun cross check perfectly. I have taken it for a test run, and at 30mph (my normal "cruise speed") it shows ~3,750, and at 4,000 rpm I'm doing about 33. Therefore I feel confident that the 36mph max speed on the placard will still keep me below the governor speed.

I bought one of these - http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/wk-310304/ . I see that they now say that it is unavailable, and even for me it was a struggle to get them to ship me one, but in the end they did. It was approx GBP75 which, whilst not cheap, it is cheaper & works much better than the other one I had shipped in from the US.

PS It even has a rather cool "full scale deflection check" when the ignition comes on. 8-) 8-) 8-)
Attachments
2013-06-01_10.17.28_copy-2.jpg
2013-06-01_10.17.28_copy-2.jpg (372.43 KiB) Viewed 1477 times
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Looks the goods - glad it worked out.

My emails to the US suppliers of the VDO one I am interested in brought no response.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Julian,

Your tach looks exactly like the one I'm using from Drag Specialties for older Harley motorcycles. They work just dandy for Haflingers :D

Cheers,
Steve
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Julian,

Did you test it against both strobe tacho's whilst you had mine as well? That would have been a definite confirmation.

Other than having to spend money on other things at present (oil leak on the passenger side hub) which I had not planned on at all and sorting out the carb, I would be looking at putting some sort of tacho in mine just to find out why it won't run faster than 37/38 mph under most circumstances.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

John,

I didn't test it against yours as well, but the one I bought was exactly the same model as yours, so I'm happy to trust it.

Julian
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I have no complaints with the strobe / tacho gun except that its a difficult thing to put into the cab to use as a Tacho!

So, what are you going to do with the old tacho if you don't mind me asking? I wouldn't mind playing with it to see if I can get it to work correctly, but if you are going to send it back that's fine.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

John, You'd be welcome to having a play with the old VDO one; if you can get it to work a very small contribution would be nice, but if you don't then either keep it or return it to my box of bits.

Julian
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

hi Julian,

Next time I am up at yours, I'll pick it up and have a look. If it uses dip switches to select different ranges, maybe I can find the correct resistance to put in it to get the display to read correctly.

John