Charging light

ogdenenterprise

Charging light

Post by ogdenenterprise »

When I turn the ignition switch on the charging light is on ,when I start the engine the charging light goes out.
when I rev the engine the charging light comes back on and stays on . The regulator is the original one which was fitted before the rebuild and this worked ok before. A friend of mine borrowed my dynastart as a sample when he was having his refurbished , problem was the people who were rebuilding the dynastarts closed down and disapeared so he lost both of them, I think he replaced it with one from Haflinger Tecknik . any suggestions what would cause the light to come back on.
Dave.
heinkeljb

Re: Charging light

Post by heinkeljb »

First port of call would be to check the wiring / connections all be good. (Not that I don't think you didn't when you put it together - just maybe one you forgot to tighten?)

Next would be to hook up a multimeter on all the connection one after the other to see that A) you get a drain when you turn on. B) you get a charge when it is idiling. C) you get a drain when the engine is revved.

I noticed in the repair manual that it has a good section on how the Dynastart works and how to set it up. You could do worse than go through that and see if any of the "trouble shooting" options covers your issue.

The charge light goes out because the voltage on both sides of it are the same. It is on if the drain is towards the battery or if the charging voltage climbs too high.

How long since the regulator has been in use? It might just be that it has a stuck contact inside.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hi David,

We had the same problem over here a while ago I think. I must ask my dad if he remembers what the problem was. I also think that you should check all the contacts inside the regulator housing on the right engine compartment panel. Inside this regulator housing, there is also a fuse - should be located right under the regulator in a small plasic housing that consists of two parts which are screwed together. You may check if the fuse is OK.

Kind regards,
Constantin
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I have found the problem, one of the earth wires on the dynastart was just touching the nut on the power cable on the dynastart so it was not getting the correct voltage so the light was staying on. A head scratching but simple repair.
Dave.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Nice to know it was just down to "operator error" as in bolting things up and something moving where you had not expected.

Glad you sorted it as it sounds like it was in a position to make a complete short circuit of the battery which could have been a disaster for your newly built Hafi!!

Are you going to get it MUDDY now?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!