Rear seats

heinkeljb

Rear seats

Post by heinkeljb »

I only have the rear seat frames, so looking for cheap method to replace the cushions. Templates, drawings with sizes, materials used for the stuffing, the covers, replacements for the rubber straps etc.

I will also have to at some point do the driver and passenger seats as the covers are ripped.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Markus
Site Admin

Re: Rear seats

Post by Markus »

Hi John,
Welcome to thehaflinger.com

I have only completed my front seats so will also be interested in how the rear seat is constructed. As far as I know the back rests are identical to the front ones.

When I looked at foam for the seats I was shocked how expensive good foam was. so I used yoga mats that were dirt cheap and are closed cell foam, so they won't absorb moisture. I layered different types to give me a really super seat. I'm a light person but.. So I don't know how they would go with more weight.

As for the hooks I used stainless welding wire and with a sheet metal bender and some aluminium to protect both bender and stainless wire. Took me a while to get the folding sequence down packed but they turned out very good.

some people use inner tubes for the straps. I purchased the entire set and think it was really worth it. It's really thick stuff and I doubt innertubes would provide the same resistance.

I hope you update us and provide some measurements to help others inc me.

Food for thought,
Regards,
Markus
Slantback60

Post by Slantback60 »

Hi John,
Great timing, I just pulled my seat pads off so I can restuff them. I'll take photos and measurements for you and will post here. The original seat pad stuffing is rubberized horse hair!
I am lucky to have a foam dealer near me- I bought some leftover high density recycled foam from them that looks like it will work.
Let me know if this works for you, and if you need me to do similar photos/measurements for the front seat bottoms and seat backs.
Joel

Here is the new foam piece with associated measurements
021.PNG
021.PNG (754.42 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
The original rubberized horsehair pad
The original rubberized horsehair pad
011.JPG (162.65 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
Before
Before
006.JPG (96.25 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
Side view showing front "step"
Side view showing front "step"
008.JPG (87.56 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
Detail of the cover prior to restitching. This is the pocket/indent that goes at the rear of the seat over the hatch handle.
Detail of the cover prior to restitching. This is the pocket/indent that goes at the rear of the seat over the hatch handle.
017.JPG (111.4 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
Last few stitches!
Last few stitches!
019.JPG (89.73 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
1960 Austrian Military Haflinger
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Wow, thanks for that. Just what is needed for the rear seat pad.

Now about the other bits..... If you are in a position to do the same for the seat backs and the two front seats you will be helping not only me but all the others out there who will have to replace the seat cushions on their Haflinger's at some point.

Well done.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi John - I seem to be following you with things to do. The rear seat frames came with my Haffie but like you no actual seats on the frames. Looks like we have all the information we will need thanks to Slantback :) .

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Slantback60

Post by Slantback60 »

You're welcome. Glad to help out- I'm sure over time I'll ask my fair share of assistance from this board!

One additional point of detail on the rear seat pads: The other seat pad I have has two flap pockes sewn to the underside. These pockets slide under metal wings in the seat bed, securing the pad to the bottom of the seat. For my seat pad without these pockets I intend to use heavy grade Velcro to affix it to the seat bed.
I have the other seat parts out, and will document and post their dimensions as well.
Joel
010.JPG
010.JPG (105.68 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
1960 Austrian Military Haflinger