Data Plate location

Julian B

Data Plate location

Post by Julian B »

Now that the old paint has been removed from my Haflinger body, I can see for the first time four small holes which were almost certainly where the data plate was originally located - on the top of the front footwell slope by the (RHD) driver's seat, immediately adjacent to the outside edge of the Haflinger (i.e. by the door).

But before I attach the data plate in this position, most (if not all) other RHD Hafs that I have seen have had the data plate fixed more centrally (and rotated through 90 degrees), adjacent to the gearstick.

A couple of questions -
  • 1. Does anyone know what determined where the data plate was fixed? Year of build or LHD / RHD?
    2. If a LHD / RHD thing, when did SDP change the RHD location from the outer edge to the more central location?
    3. When attached near to the outer edge of the driver's seat, was it next to the LHD driver's seat also, or on the LHD passenger's seat?

{NB: When I bought the Haflinger the data plate was not actually attached to the body - it was just rattling around on the front shelf. :oops: ]
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (70.75 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (34.55 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Re: Data Plate location

Post by heinkeljb »

I'll post a picture of mine a bit later. Hopefully you'll be able to find it amongst all the spam!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Julian,
Early Series 1 Hafs had the plate installed adjacent to the door sill as shown in your first photo.
LHD or RHD does not matter as the plate is always on the vehicle's RHS in the locations shown in your photos.
Cheers,
Steve
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Thanks Steve, that was just what I wanted to hear ... and I will attach the data plate in the original position (by the door).

That said, on a RHD vehicle having the data plate where it is likely to get damaged by a driver getting in / out would probably explain why my data plate got so damaged (& ultimately removed) in the first place! But I'll just have to be careful in future :D
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Finally got round to taking a picture. I do not see any signs that it was ever put near the edge of the drivers side foot well. So I would think mine was placed where it is from the factory / dealers workshop.

John
chassis plate position.jpg
chassis plate position.jpg (129.6 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Thanks John - that is not where I expected it to be - or at least I would have expected it to be rotated by 90 degrees in that position. But I'm still learning!.

What does the small plate above the data plate say / do?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

It basically a makers / assembly / dealers type plate. See picture, Other than telling me that Lurch originally came over from Belgium to a franchised seller / importer in the UK to be sold to Lady Sutherlands and Co. As the first owners it does not tell me much. Maybe others can explain it more?

John
chassis plate 2.jpg
chassis plate 2.jpg (162.61 KiB) Viewed 1343 times

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

That is most interesting. Perhaps Constantin or Steve or Jim might not more?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Amnor seems to be a factory in Belgium that made up knocked down versions of Wheel Horse tractors. http://www.angelfire.com/al2/wheelhorse ... story.html suggests that the factory opened in 1969, so that would fit in well with the date of Lurch.

Did SDP make any Hafs in Belgium, or was it just a matter of Amnor being an agent of SDP?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,
I've never seen a data plate in that location :? . Also, the rivets are not the standard type used by S-D-P. Is it possible that your truck had some restoration work at some point in its history?
My understanding of the Hafs shipped in kit form was that the platforms were complete, painted in final color and were paired to a specific chassis and motor. These kits also each had their own Wagenstammkarte and thus would also have a completed data plate installed on the platform by S-D-P.
As delivered, the kits required that the road springs, wheels and motor be installed to the chassis. The platform and its bolt-on parts were then affixed to the chassis and another little Haflinger was thereby born :D .
Cheers,
Steve
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

When I get a chance I will have a better look for old rivet holes in the two places shown in the first photos.

I would not be surprised to find that the plate(s) have been moved - very common thing for riveted on plates!

John

Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hello Julian

I can confirm that on my two 1963 RHD Haflingers, as well as the AU Army Haflingers (1966), the plates were fitted as per your second photo. If I am correct, this is a factory photo of the AU Army Haflinger, before seats being fitted. This also the location of the plate for the 2 other 1963 Haflingers that I have seen.

So if your plate is located as per photo 1, then that makes your RHD even more unique!

Hope that helps.

Rick
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Hi RIck - very interesting;

I am now 99.9% sure that the position of my data plate was as per my first photo (i.e. by the door), as now that the paint has been removed
  • the four holes can clearly be seen by the door
    there are no holes nearer to the gearstick, and
    the four holes that I can see are very small - much smaller than a pop rivet would need (thus indicating that "original" type rivets were used).
Armed with this knowledge the data plate will certainly be put back using the original holes! 8-)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

I am also sure that for Julian's Haflinger, the position next to the door is correct.
Regarding John's Haflinger, I am sure that the correct position is in front of the driver's seat - You will certainly find four holes there.

I have a document about this topic online at: http://www.haflinger-4wd.com/offtopic/H ... umbers.pdf
As always with the Haflinger, the statements in this document are not universally valid - there are some exceptions.

The data plate from the company from Belgium is hard to understand for me. I don't think that this Haflinger has been sold through Belgium or even been assembled there. From the details, it is a typical export model for the market in Great Britain.

Kind regards,
Constantin