Rubber strip between windscreen frame & bulkhead

Julian B

Rubber strip between windscreen frame & bulkhead

Post by Julian B »

Does anyone know whether the long foam rubber strip that goes between the windscreen frame & the front bulkhead should be glued to the windscreen frame or to the top surface of the bulkhead? And what is the best type of adhesive to use?

[EDITED TO ADD: And is it best to put the "bulge" go on the outside or the inside? ]

TIA

Julian
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
pathfinder700ap

Re: Rubber strip between windscreen frame & bulkhead

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hi Julian,

the rubber strip definitely goes onto the windscreen frame. It is usually bolted to the frame with small tin plates and small screws. Was it not like that when you took it apart? Not sure if there should be used any glue.

Looking at some pictures, I think that the bulge should be on the outside:

Kind regards,
Constantin
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Thanks for that, Constantin - very helpful. In the past the windscreen rubber on my green Haf had just been stuck on (by a previous owner), so presumed that this was the way it should be done. But I have just had a look on my newly repainted windscreen frame and see that there are indeed 7 pairs of holes which are obviously where these strips of metal are riveted on.

I will order (or make) some of these strips and attach the rubber correctly! 8-)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hi Julian,

that sounds good! The strips are actually not riveted on, they should be held in place by sheet metal screws. Have a look at the 1970 spares catalogue at 22 05 no. 7. Maybe you can order these screws as well.

Kind regards,
Constantin
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hello Julian and Constantin. Happy new year to you!

I've now pulled the original and deteriorated rubber off a couple of frames now, and I don't believe the factory glued them on. They were stuck in parts owing to the deteriorating rubber, but not glued.

I kept and re-used the screws where I could. I recall them being countersunk with a slight dome to the head. Replaced broken ones with standard countersunk metal screws.

Julian, nice to see your restoration moving along so briskly but with such care and attention to detail.

Rick
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]