Canvas frame

ogdenenterprise

Canvas frame

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Hi everyone , I need some info regarding the canvas frame that fits behind the seats on a short or long hood. There are 2 pieces of tube that are at fitted at angles from the outer frame and bolt to the centre of the body with a single bolt. Can anybody advise what. Diameter these tubes are. I have a very old rusty frame that was originally part of a Australian fibreglass cab, but both the angle tubes are long gone together with the bottom of the 2 vertical pieces of the frame that passes through the body side rails. I spoke to someone yesterday who can make a replica copy of the original frame ,but with it being a one off it will be quite expensive, but unless someone has a spare frame they would sell me I will have to have one made.

Dave
Julian B

Re: Canvas frame

Post by Julian B »

Dave,

Are you able to post a photo? There are a variety of different frame types that go just behind the front seats. What year is you Haf?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

A rear frame regardless if it was a reprodudution or not would be a nice addition for sure. When you say quite expensive, what exactly would the cost be?
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hello Dave

I was also planning to make full cabin bows this year, both full and early civilian slant-back types. I have a complete set of the non-slanted type to use as a template (see pics). We can get together to share costs if you like. Im away now for a couple of weeks, and can take a tube diameter measurement then if no-one has given one sooner.

However Im missing the full canvas hood, and have been searching for an original one for years to use as a template. I do however have an original early civilian slanted hood- rare as the proverbial.

cheers

Rick
Attachments
IMG_1298.JPG
IMG_1297.JPG
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Rick - depending on cost I might be also interested in the bows as well - that might reduce the cost a bit further. I would like to have the option of converting mine from a truck cab to a 2 door full cab (or even a four door full cab) from time to time.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Hi Everyone ,I have uploaded a few photos of the main canvas bow frame, as you can see it is in bad condition and needs to be replaced. The figure that was mentioned, $1000AU was just for this part of the frame work and it was only ball park . Julian my Haf is a 68 LWB.
Rick it sounds like a plan, please contact me when you get back.
Attachments
frame3.jpg
frame2.jpg
frame (25).jpg
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Dave,

I have just measured Lurch's metal tubes :!:

They are 22 / 22.5 mm outside diameter - Basically the same diameter as the tubing the drivers / passengers seats are made from.

The bits in your photos are bit on the rotten side aren't they... Particularly the bottoms.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
OzzieHaffy

Post by OzzieHaffy »

Hi Dave,
I am interested in a set of cabin doors with the canvas. Not sure if you are also contemplating making those however if so happy to get involved if that is the case
Cheers
Kym
Haflinger 700 AP/2 (1970)
Fuso Canter 4x4 Expedition
Iveco Daily 4x4 Expedition
ogdenenterprise

Hi Kym.
I will be having a full set of door frames made (front/rear) at some stage. Rick K has a set and has offered to loan these when I am ready to have some manufactured.

Dave
OzzieHaffy

Post by OzzieHaffy »

Hi Dave,
Yes, I am interested but only in the front two doors.
Let me know when you have further info
Kym
Haflinger 700 AP/2 (1970)
Fuso Canter 4x4 Expedition
Iveco Daily 4x4 Expedition
Doug Lennox

Post by Doug Lennox »

Hi Dave, Kym and Rick,

I too will be interested in a set of door frames. At least a front set and probably a back set. Let me know when it's time to get them made.

Doug
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

I've been considering just buying some rod stock and bending the back two bows myself.. It doesn't appear to be so thick as to be very difficult..
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Bending pipe is real easy if you hire a hydraulic pipe bender. Using a manual one can be difficult depending on the diameter and wall thickness of the pipe. The biggest problem is over bending an angle, trying to straighten that out usually ends in kinks or ripples in the pipe.

I am also looking at buy pipe and making my own rear frame system as trying to copy the original from drawing / photos is difficult at the best of times.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

heinkeljb wrote:I am also looking at buy pipe and making my own rear frame system as trying to copy the original from drawing / photos is difficult at the best of times.
John
John,

I have a set of frames for a LWB that you could borrow to act as a template.

Julian
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
ogdenenterprise

I had asked several companys around Cairns before I found someone who said he could copy the original about making a replacement canvas bow . they all said the radius of the corners of the bow was too tight for them to bend.

Dave
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I hired a hydraulic pipe bender so I could bend up some old galvanised thick walled water pipe ~ 1" diameter and other than asking the hire place for formers that would be correct for 1" pipe I could have bent the pipe 180 degrees with about a 6" radius,
So it is all down to the formers.

Julian,

I'll take you up on that offer later in the year - Got to sort seats out, and need warmer weather to start playing with pipes!!

John

ogdenenterprise

Hi Rick,
thanks for the PM. Im in NZ at the moment , For some reason I can receive mail but not send it .I will contact you when I get home.
Dave
ogdenenterprise

Hi, is there anybody that has a Lwb canvas frame, if so would it be possible if you could measure the diameter of the frame hoop that the rear door hinges off, and the 2 short horizontal tubes (300mm??) that connect from the main bow to the rear door hoop , any photos or details would also be appreciated .

Dave
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Hi Guys, Great discussion. Just thought I would toss in my 2 cents worth. If you are going to bend your own pipe with a hydraulic pipe bender may I suggest adding an inch or two to the desired length, weld a end closed fill sand and weld the other end closed. I have found that this will prevent the pipe from flattening out on the bend. regards Danny
Callahan

Post by Callahan »

Steve (HaffyHunter) took some basic dimensions of the hood sticks for me a couple of years ago. I hope he doesn't mind me sharing here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4m6d6vp84qjm ... ngb0a?dl=0

Note: the hoop width dimensions are tube centerline-to-centerline. The vertical measurements are from the top edge of the tailboard/sideboards to the tube's horizontal centerline. He also supplied some great photos of his factory original hood sticks that together with the sketch was sufficient to make up a new set. Since they're not my photos I won't post them without his permission.