Australian Army Haflinger restoration question

bestill

Australian Army Haflinger restoration question

Post by bestill »

Hi guys ,I am getting close to finishing my Australian army haflinger resto project. Now I have a problem . I am trying to source the rubber straps that were used on the ratchet cam type of holder that was used on the Australian army haflingers bonnet to hold the pick and axe in position. I have one strap which is covered in green paint from the previous owner. All the other straps have long perished away. Does anyone know where I would get these. The steyr haflinger parts book doesn't list them. I'm guessing they may be locally made . I have included a picture of the strap. any idea where I would find these? Thanks Dave
Attachments
P1030112.JPG
AustHaflinger

Re: Australian Army Haflinger restoration question

Post by AustHaflinger »

I would have thought you might be out of luck with that one - looks "universal" so as you said probably locally sourced.

You might be lucky if they were also used on the army landrovers or something else. I think the best place to ask is on the Register of Ex Mil Landrovers - they cover all army vehicles and have a section covering Haflingers but probably better asking in a a more general area.

See http://remlr.com/forum/index.php

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
bestill

Post by bestill »

Thanks Garry, I actually googled that small trademark logo that was the strap, Turns out to be a Euro company that makes rubber components. I sent them a email. Awaiting to hear back from them.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Well that is sort of good news - good luck with it.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

It might be a bit long, but would the "standard" strap used to keep the windscreen down when folded not suit? They are readily available from Haflinger Technik etc.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
bestill

Post by bestill »

Thanks Julian, I have both strap sizes used for the windscreen here and they are both too long to hold the tools on. I still haven't heard back with my email unfortunately. Cheers Dave
mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Hey Dave,
Maybe you should be looking for the info that you want within the Army system.The Army have a museum of some sort at Bandianna which I think is a Corp of Transport or maybe a Corp of Engineers museum. There is a Haffie and a trailer on display there and they are only to happy to chat with people on "their" subject. There is a website for them and from memory it is easy enough to navigate it.
A Unit that I was a member of in the 80's decided that they would again try and use horses to carry out the units responsibilities during the wet seasons in northern Australia. Getting the horses was the first step and then the unit went into the Army system and still in stores was all of the "horse" gear that you would ever want.None of it had to be procured or made it was all in stores. Some of this was left over from when horses were used in WW2 and perhaps Korea but it was still in stores.
So perhaps what you want is there somewhere on a shelf waiting to be used again. I don't know about the RAN or the RAAF but the Army is the biggest bunch of bower birds you will ever come across, they throw nothing out.
I would start at the Army museum and take it from there. Maybe they have examples of what you want as well. Good luck with the chase.
Regards Rick.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

mechanical horse wrote:Hey Dave,
Maybe you should be looking for the info that you want within the Army system.The Army have a museum of some sort at Bandianna which I think is a Corp of Transport or maybe a Corp of Engineers museum. There is a Haffie and a trailer on display there and they are only to happy to chat with people on "their" subject. There is a website for them and from memory it is easy enough to navigate it.
A Unit that I was a member of in the 80's decided that they would again try and use horses to carry out the units responsibilities during the wet seasons in northern Australia. Getting the horses was the first step and then the unit went into the Army system and still in stores was all of the "horse" gear that you would ever want.None of it had to be procured or made it was all in stores. Some of this was left over from when horses were used in WW2 and perhaps Korea but it was still in stores.
So perhaps what you want is there somewhere on a shelf waiting to be used again. I don't know about the RAN or the RAAF but the Army is the biggest bunch of bower birds you will ever come across, they throw nothing out.
I would start at the Army museum and take it from there. Maybe they have examples of what you want as well. Good luck with the chase.
Regards Rick.
You can make those straps out of leather.
It would be more durable.

Sent from my SM-G360H using Tapatalk