Polycab Front Turn Signals

roadkill

Polycab Front Turn Signals

Post by roadkill »

Does anyone know where i can get replacement beehive style turn signal lenses for my polycab? Anyone know if it is a common shared part? I saw a bunch of beehive shaped lenses that looked very similar on Ebay.

Thanks!
-B
heinkeljb

Re: Polycab Front Turn Signals

Post by heinkeljb »

Which ones are you after? The front or the sides or both? Do your originals have any numbers / names on them?

There are several different sorts out there, varying in height, diameter and fittings, so it might be a bit of a minefield just trying to get them from somewhere like Ebay. Have you tried any of the Haflinger parts suppliers? I grant you they may be more expensive than the Ebay type ones, but if you want ones that are correct, that is probably the easiest way to go.

John

P.S. It would be nice if you put something in the location section of your profile - region and country. It helps with possibly recommending sources of spares, but it also helps with showing how far flung as these Haflingers are!
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi "Roadkill",

There were two manufacturers of trafficator (signal) lights for Haflingers. Early Haflingers and all polycabs that I've seen use lights made by Carello and they are very difficult to find replacement lenses for. The only other vehicle I've found that use the same Make/Model light is the early 1960's Ferrari 250 GTO which is now a multi-million dollar collector car.

Later Haflingers use Lucas lights and these are relatively common. Other vehicles that used the same were the ACE A/C roadster (Shelby Cobra), some Land Rovers and the Morgan roadster. The Lucas numbers are L691 and L692 (single filament bulb and two filament bulb) except for US Pathfinder models that used Lucas L795.

The Lucas L691/692 and L795 are interchangeable with each other but not with the Carello lamps. The Carellos are slightly smaller in diameter than the Lucas thus making retrofits to a polycab nearly impossible.

Cheers,
Steve
roadkill

Post by roadkill »

Hmm my location shouldn't matter, but i am in North America. My polycab is late 60's. I am including a shot of one of the lenses for reference. Lucas or otherwise?
Thanks,
-B
Attachments
polycab turn signal
polycab turn signal
signal.jpg (32.8 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi "Roadkill",

It's difficult to tell which make your signal lights are from the photo but my guess is that they are the Lucas L692. Look for the name embossed on the lens. If they are Lucas then the name and model number is also stamped in the metal base behind the lens.

The good news is that if they are Lucas then go here to order your replacement lens or complete light assembly as needed:
http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/p ... tegory/137

This company is in the U.K. and their service is really good with reasonable costs.
They carry many useful parts for Hafi owners.

Regards,
Steve
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I have used AutoElectricSupplies too, and they have been excellent.

Good Luck!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
roadkill

Post by roadkill »

Thank you for the information! I'll check it out today
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hello,

I don't think that the polycab indicator lights were Lucas (maybe except for some exotic Polycab export versions). The lights originally came from the Puch 500 passenger car, hence they still had the part number starting with 501 in the 1970 spares catalogue (group 9 89). Similar to the passenger car, the Polycab was also designed in a way that the lights, which have a socket with thicker part on the outside of the vehicle, may be used.

Here is a picture of a late Series 2 Polycab indicator light:
blinker-aric.jpg
The brand name is ARIC, but I am not sure if this is the original light or an replacement. I can tell for sure that on export versions for Germany (mostly Kommunalhaflingers), the Hella BL 410 -10 light was used, as is also stated in the spare parts catalogue. It is the same indicator light as used on the Swiss Army Haflingers. It would be interesting to see a close-up picture of the bulb of your Haflinger, roadkill!

Kind regards,
Constantin
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Constantin,

That's interesting info. I had wondered if the European polycabs might have had different lights as they seemed a bit smaller than those I'm familiar with on polycabs in North America. This might have been a modification to meet North American regulations. The polycabs that I am familiar with here have Carello lights which are smaller than the Lucas but look larger than the ARIC in your photo.

Perhaps Robert Prokschi has replacement lenses for the ARIC type as he carries a lot of Puch 500 parts? Also, Autoquariat may also have these parts available as they too deal with Puch 500 spares.

Cheers,
Steve
roadkill

Post by roadkill »

Well i got a decent look at the lens today and it has the letter A in a circle, followed by 3024
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi "Roadkill",

I checked my inventory of Carello and Lucas lights and none have the letter A in a circle, followed by 3024 markings. Perhaps yours are Hella or ARIC as suggested by Constantin but the picture that he posted doesn't seem to be the same as yours. It is possible that a replacement lens was installed on your truck at some point in its life. I know that there have been lenses produced by other manufacturers for both the Lucas and Carello models used on Haflingers. Can you remove one of your lenses and look for stampings in the metal base?

Regards,
Steve