How to remove the retaining caps on the 4WD and diff levers

StuartR

How to remove the retaining caps on the 4WD and diff levers

Post by StuartR »

I can see from the parts breakdown that there is a locking pin on the rings. What is the best way of removing them and causing the least possible damage?

Thanks
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
Julian B

Re: How to remove the retaining caps on the 4WD and diff lev

Post by Julian B »

Not quite sure what you mean; if you want to remove the "triangular" collar that fits over the base of the levers, then you will see 3 pins projecting through the metal; these are sort-of spring loaded, as they sit within a thick rubber grommet that sits within the collar. If you press one in gently (with a drift or similar), slightly raise the collar and then do the same with the other two pins the collar should lift up and away, leaving the rubber grommet (complete with the three pins) in place.

Apologies if I have misunderstood the question ...
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
StuartR

Re: How to remove the retaining caps on the 4WD and diff lev

Post by StuartR »

Julian,

That's it exactly. I had looked at the parts book and thought that was the was, but to seek advice from one who has done the job is always the path of least resistance, and less broken parts!

Thanks for the info, the work seems to get bigger every-time I make progress, left side done so over to the right. First I have a lot more dismantling to do so I can work on removing the footwell and rest of the under seat panel (whats left after the tin worm), once done I can rotate the spine for more remedial work before the new foot well, deck panels and stiffeners are fitted.

I also will have to put a 30A supply into the garage as the spot welder requires more than a humble 13 A socket can provide, fortunately there is the old redundant Cooker circuit in the fuse box.
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton