Front differential bash guard

heinkeljb

Front differential bash guard

Post by heinkeljb »

There seem to be several names you could apply to the sheet of metal which goes from the bottom of the footwell under the differential, but I think most people will under stand which item I am talking about.

So I was doing some of the dreaded routine maintenance with the grease gun and noticed that the rear of the guard was hanging down more on one side than the other.

Closer inspection reveals that the nearside rear mount is now in two pieces and that the offside rear is closely behind in parting company with itself.

I took some measurements from the remaining ones and thought I would ask if there was an official size as mine are 30mm dia, 25mm long, M8 studs at both ends.
Being the trusting sort, I looked at said items and ordered 4 replacements off that online auction house. Not a bad price for 4 of them I thought.

Sitting in front of the PC ordering them and pick up the parts book to see if there were dimensions in there. Fiddle sticks and Drat and Blue blistering barnacles (and any other expletives which can be published with out offending anyone)!
The parts book shows the rubber bobbins as being male 10mm stud on one side and 10mm female threaded hole on the other side. Only think it doesn't list is the diameter and length of the rubber section. Anybody have those dimensions?

I'll fit the 4 male to male ones I have ordered, but at some point I will buy the sort shown in the parts book.

Just goes to show, after 40 years thing on your Haflinger might not be quite the right item!

John

p.s. Edited post to reflect the size actually in the parts book and not in my head! 10mm not 12mm!
Last edited by heinkeljb on Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Re: Front differential bash guard

Post by Julian B »

From memory the rubber bit is about 20-25mm thick, & about 25-35mm in diameter. Not sure that the precise measurement is critical though.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I ordered 4 replacement parts from Haflinger Technik in Scotland, when I replaced mine, I got 4 delivered to Australia for the price of 1 from here in Cairns.

Dave
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Wow, that's was obviously a good call. How come they are so expensive in Oz?I wold have thought there was a local manufacturer of such things so the price would have been less than importing them. Still as we have found out, it is worth checking several places before jumping!
I should have looked in the parts book before ordering mine...

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

A lot of things are more expensive here compared to the Uk, take for instance prestige car imports.The last time I checked (so it could have changed since then) there was a GST (Vat) tax on the value of the vehicle of 5- 10% depending on the type of vehicle you are importing then on top of that, everything over the value of approx $59000 there is luxury car tax added at 33% also you have to prove you have owned the vehicle for more than 12 months.

Dave
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Australian sellers charge the way they do because they can and then squeal when we buy from overseas.

ARB air diff locks are made here in Australia and sold around the world - it is cheaper to buy this Australian made item from the USA and import back to Australia - about $900 AUD landed back in Aust about $1300 AUD to buy locally.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Poor you lot! Sucks to at the "generosity" of a captive market.

So my bit of routine maintenance has resulted in yet more work! Doing the general greasing of grease nipples, noticed the front Differential bash guard was loose at the back. Two bobbins sheared at the back, So off that comes whilst awaiting replacements.
What to can I do now? I suppose I could clean some of the oily / dust / mud mixture off the places which are normally covers by the guard. Just why is there so much of that here ---- OH b**locks, Offside flexible gaiter is split! So to take the off require more cleaning and taking the little bracket off which holds the front rubber bobbin.

Luckily, I have (had) a spare which I could fit. So when I refit the bash guard I will have to check the oil level in the diff again. Looking at how the gaiter I took off was fitted, I think the reason it slit was because the joint was directly above the stud of the bobbin, so every time the wheel went full extension it would have hit the stud and deformed. Refitted new one as per the parts book picture with the joint as near to horizontal pointing towards the direction of travel as possible.

John