Aussie Colours

AustHaflinger

Aussie Colours

Post by AustHaflinger »

Before putting my engine in I thought I would clean up the engine bay a bit. On cleaning the removable firewall section I noticed that some of the beige paint had come off and the glossy paint underneath was the Haflinger Olive colour. This got me thinking that maybe my Haflinger had a colour change at some stage but checking the build sheet it shows it was beige - its current colour.

So the obvious scenario is that at some stage this panel has been replaced with one from an olive coloured Haffie and repainted - must have been a long time ago though.

The alternative is that Aussie haflingers were all oliver shipped out in their box and when assembled then painted in accordance with customers needs. Also unlikely but does anyone know if the CKD vehicles were painted in their final colour when the parts were packed into their boxes in Austria or was the final colour put on during build in Australia. If the latter what was their colour when they left Austria.

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
wojo12

Re: Aussie Colours

Post by wojo12 »

I'm interested the answer to Gary's questions also. I've always assumed that Hafs came over painted ready for sale and not painted at all in Oz.

John W
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

The question was never resolved.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

garrycol wrote:The question was never resolved.
That's why I bumped it up!! LOL
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Tony Hrelja would know - why not give him a ring.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

I think that the Australian Haflingers were assembled in Graz, then partly disassembled and sent to Australia as CKD kits. Indications for that are e.g. the "roman numerals" that can be found on engines and firewalls, possibly for the purpose of putting the correct assemblies back together in Australia.

Garry, which removable firewall section are you referring to? Can you post a photo?

Kind regards, C.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

pathfinder700ap wrote:Garry, which removable firewall section are you referring to? Can you post a photo?

Kind regards, C.
It was a long time ago but I found this pic - it is the panel that goes over the top of the bell housing and is held in place sealing rubber.
Attachments
Rear Panel.JPG
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

This removable panel belongs to the engine and would be painted black originally. Maybe on your Haflinger it was repainted during an engine overhaul?

On many Haflingers, some "hidden spots" that are usually not repainted are well suited to identify the original color. E.g., the inside of the engine bay, the inside of the front nose behind the dashboard, the inside of the headlight bowls (i.e. behind the headlights) etc... However, if the whole body was sandblasted or similar, this is of course invalid.