Front drivers seat right hand drive

Vampyr

Front drivers seat right hand drive

Post by Vampyr »

Hi Guys, looking at my haffy, the left hand seat folds forward has two rubbers on the back where it meets the body and two hinges on the front so it can fold forward to access the fuel cell. Now looking at the two seats I have for the front right seat are different as they have plates on the sides that have been rebated with a elongated hole to allow for seat adjustment, this is what is shown in my manual. Now to the problem, my haffy does not have any corresponding fitting holes to mount this type of seat, they are the same as the left hand side. Was it common to have both seats folding forward. Regards Danny
kerry460

Re: Front drivers seat right hand drive

Post by kerry460 »

G,,day . the drivers side for your model had a flat plate with two elongated slots for adjustment .

if that does not make sense , imagine the hinge welded , but with elongated holes .

as far as I know none came standard with two folding front seats .
I fitted a folding to the drivers side , because I mounted the remote grease nipple for the centre relay pin under the seat .

cheers
kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

These show the fittings on my 1970 civilian UK spec RHD Haflinger - the hinged one is on the RHD passenger side, and the fixed one on the RHD drivers side. It has always been my understanding that this is "normal".

On my 1962 early Series 1 Haflinger neither seat have a hinge as the fuel tank is under the load area in the rear.

HTH,

Julian
Attachments
2014-11-12_11_12_55.jpg
2014-11-12_11_12_21.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Passenger Seat

Drivers Seat

Drivers Seat Body Mount (outer)

The slots in the drivers seat mount allows the seat to be adjusted back and forth and the seat is held by the centre bolt/nut of the body mount.

There is nothing at the back of the seat to hold it down. When I got my Haffy, thinking the drivers seat folded like the passenger side I pulled the back of the seat and bent the flat plates with the slots at the front of the drivers seat.

Garry

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Danny,

I think your Haflinger platform is more like Gary's in that you talk of two small 6mm bolt holes in the platform that would correspond to similar holes in the seat if you were to try and fit your passenger seat which has the hinges on it.

Whilst it is perfectly possible to fit two seats with hinge (Lurch has them - only because the spare seat I had was better than the one fitted). The original fitment would have been LH side, viewed from the rear, hinged to allow you access to the fuel filler hole. RH side fixed with slots to allow forward / backward adjustment.

Mine does not have the central fixing bolt as shown in Gary's last picture, so there was obviously some variations in the way the seats were fitted, possibly depending on year of manufacture and / or location of original sale locality.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

haflinger seats.jpeg
haflinger drivers side.jpeg
Thanks guys, I've had another look and the adjustable drivers seat would not match any fitting on my platform, the fittings are the same both left and right handed, I checked my other haffy and they are both the same. both haflingers were manufactured in 1974. One in March and the other in June. I am loathe to change the mounts and will look for another folding seat. I am posting photo's of the platform and the two adjustable seats I have , both are the same bar 1 is ex army. the only difference being an extra loop welded to the top right hand side of the seat. regards Danny
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Danny,

I think the reason your seats don't fit is because they are rear seats! The look welded on the upright is for the safety chain. The mounting on your platform is the same as on mine If you can wait until Saturday, I'll take some pictures of my seats and mountings for you to look at.

As mentioned above, I currently have two "lift up" seats fitted, but obviously still have the original fixed seat.

There is a difference between the army and civilian vehicles seats if this thread is anything to go by. The army rear seat just had fixed seats, My 1973 LWB has rear "fold in the foot well" seats which have a hinge on the back rest. The front seats appear to have different mounting systems depending on the year and maybe on where the vehicle was to be sold.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

The rear seats that I have seen have open "hooks" rather than the "loops" normally welded on to the top of the outer sides though ???
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

the rear seats have no brackets on the tubular frame .
they bolt in with 4 x 6mm x 1 mm pitch bolts through the tubular frame .
the frame rests in a channel section on the seat hole lid .
they are totally different to front seats ,

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

haffie81.jpg
So just to add further to the discussion, this is a photo Aussie Army Haffy seats. My platform does not have the brackets welded/ fitted to mount these seats. So will look for a swap/ buy from other aussie members. I have seen a photo which I can't find, that has basically the same seat that folds forward but without the hinge. Instead where the 6mm mounting holes are, they match a fitting on the seat but the holes are elongated allowing the seat to move forward and backward. Tighten the 4 bolts at the desired adjustment. This insight has resulted in the consumption of a least 6 cold beers, and whilst I have greatly enjoyed the feed back I would have enjoyed this discussion with all around the table sharing the beer. Thanks guys really enjoy the comments and support. regards Danny
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Kerry,

The seats you mention are the sort I have which fit the rear of my long wheel base 1973 model. It has "fold away" rear seats which "hide" in the rear foot wells and so allow for a completely flat rear bed if rear seats are not required. As you say these seats have a completely different mounting system to the front seats.

The rear seats I mention with the "loop" welded to them are the rear seats fitted to the LWB 6 seat option, they match ones I have seen where the person sits with their back to the driver. I agree that the ones with a welded "hook" are the ones fitted in the back where the person sits facing the front. I assume the "loop" provides a more secure fitting for a carabiner type chain fastening. So you would be more likely to "unhook" the chain from the "hook" than from the carabiner end and therefore less likely to lose the chain.

I forgot to take any pictures of my seats over the weekend so will try to remember to take some - no point at the moment as it is dark and wet and I doubt my camera will take a decent photo in these conditions.

John

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I have replaced the front drivers seat in Lurch with another basically because the seat covers were in better condition and I couldn't be bothered to dismantle the seat pads and swap them over.

So I currently have two tilting seats in the front of Lurch. The mounting points are the same as the fixed original seat, except they have a hinge fitted.
See picture.
Front seat mounting.jpg
I will take a picture of the original seat mounting frame this weekend, as it is in with the rest of the spares all wrapped up under a tarp whilst I slowly build the shed around them! Got to replace the fence first as that will be one of the walls of the new shed!

John