Unfamiliar canvas cab variant

Yakov

Unfamiliar canvas cab variant

Post by Yakov »

Just to stir some activity on the forum in these slow times, here's a question I've been putting off asking for a while...

I haven't seen any photos of a canvas of the style that I bought on ebay this past summer. I can't get the leather straps through the loops on the windshield frame, and there isn't anywhere to put the guard that goes behind the cab on most people's Haflingers (I don't even have one, anyway.) Otherwise, it fits perfectly, and even has holes for the door hinge.

Then there's the strange two rear windows, and the two flaps with the grommets that look like something else should attach to it.

Anyone have any idea what the rest of it is supposed to look like, if it indeed is supposed to have a rear piece?
Attachments
IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG
kerry460

Re: Unfamiliar canvas cab variant

Post by kerry460 »

I have no idea , sorry .

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The load barrier guard might fit either "inside" or "outside" the canvas depending on how much room there is.
The two flaps obviously connect to a half / two thirds height tunnel back canvas and the split wind allows you to see either into the canvas tunnel or over the top to look at traffic behind you.

Can't say I have ever seen anything like that before, but there again, it could be a one off.

Do the leather straps on the front actually line up? If so, maybe the leather is just too thick for your particular vehicle. The hoops on the vehicle it was made for might have had "altered" hoops on the windscreen to suit this canvas.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Looks like a Euro-pallet sized load cover would attach. Could also be for protecting special municipal/farming equipment.
Yakov

Post by Yakov »

The leather straps do line up to the loops on the windshield frame, and the leather straps don't seem particularly thick. The metal grommets on the canvas that the loops on the windshield are supposed to go into might be too thick. Maybe I can compress them with a vise.

I guess it's a one-off and I'll have to modify either the windshield frame loops or the canvas to be able to use it. I don't particularly like the double window either, it's awkward to look through. I didn't do enough research before buying it - was too excited to get one for what seemed like a good price. ($160 including shipping)

Thanks for everyone's responses!