Doors and soft tops

Goatwerks

Doors and soft tops

Post by Goatwerks »

Got me a pair of rough door frames over the summer, finally made them somewhat functional.
After getting missing hinges and latch from Steve and replacing some rotted tube sections, I managed
to re skin them as Half doors for now.
Next step is short side boards and complete soft top with rear doors(have to make the frames).
heinkeljb

Re: Doors and soft tops

Post by heinkeljb »

Getting there!

When you have the all the hoop measurements and shapes down on paper, don't forget to post them, I am looking to do the same for Lurch.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

I get my bows next week if everything works out.
I borrowed a center bow with doorstop for the pattern. Would love to find a set of rear doors, but will end up just making reproduction.
First top will be "Bug Eye" slant back 4 door version where rear bow is hinged to center bow.
I cut long boards and made a set of rear boards this week.
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Love the paint scheme on the wheels 8-)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

The canvas on the doors needs an iron ;)
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Would love to find a set of rear doors, but will end up just making reproduction.
Hi Jim,

I'd forgotten about sending you that door hardware set. Nice to see it going to good use :D

I have a set of rear door frames that I can use to give any dimensions you may need to reproduce a set. Give me a little time & I'll put CAD drawings together for the rear doors.

I also have found steel tubing that matches the original frames perfectly. I'll post the specs on the tubing shortly. It comes from the hydraulics industry and is relatively inexpensive.

Cheers,
Steve
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Cool, did you know there are at least 3 rear door types?
While digging through my picture archives, I noticed early series 1 German/Austrian slant back had longer rear side boards that came up to the back of the battery box, and the bottom of the shorter door was the remainder of the long side board with a soft removable upper door. All the rest use the short side boards with either a full size complete rear door or 3/4 doors hinged above the long boards.
When time permits I will post up some pictures of these variants.
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

3 good Short rear door type pictures. Series 1 Slant back with folding rear bows(bow track in picture).
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I have just purchased a canvas frame for a SWB 4 door vertical back Haf also front doors and seat protection panels. I have some questions that maybe some of our members could answer.
1 - on the front doors the canvas is rotting away so I will have to replace this at some stage, where the opening /swing window fastens to the main door frame there is a smaller frame which is held in place with what look like double headed brass rivets, are these rivets still available and if so from where,
or could a near alternative be suggested.
2 - My Haf is a LWB so I still need the rear door hoop and the 4 short horizontal frame links (300mm) that links the door hoop to the main bow. has anyone any detailed photos of these parts so I can have some made. I presume the tube is the same diameter as the rest of the rear frame?.
3 - There are 2 brackets and a angle bracket that secure the bottom of the seat protection panels to the body at the sides and centre has anyone any photos of these or maybe advise if anyone has any of these items for sale .
if it is easier to PM please contact me and I will forward you my email address

TIA Dave
Slantback60

Post by Slantback60 »

I know that those exact rivets are available from HafiTechnik. A guy on Austrian ebay recently was selling the leather straps and rivets for the windows as well. Took a booger of a time to get them shipped to me, but they are OEM! If this link doesn't work, try searching ebay for seller "Pinzgauergastein"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121493188421?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
1960 Austrian Military Haflinger
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Thanks Slantback I will contact Haflinger Technik .

Dave
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

I also have found steel tubing that matches the original frames perfectly. I'll post the specs on the tubing shortly. It comes from the hydraulics industry and is relatively inexpensive.
Sorry for the delay getting this posted. The proper tubing dimensions are 16mm O.D. with 2mm wall thickness and is plain (not galvanized) cold rolled steel. I found it in stock at a local industrial hydraulics repair shop and is rated at 20,580 Burst Pressure, not that it matters for Haflinger use :lol: . The technician at this shop told me it is a very common size on hydraulics systems and should easily be available anywhere in the world. The price I paid was $6 CDN/Ft and came in 20ft lengths. This tubing size is used for the Haflinger door frames as well as for the hoops & braces of the canvas hood.

Cheers,
Steve
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Would love to find a set of rear doors, but will end up just making reproduction.
Hi Jim (and everyone else),

I have created CAD drawings of the left and right side rear door frames. I can email a .PDF file to anyone who wants a copy. Send me a PM and let me know your direct email address to receive a copy.

Cheers,
Steve
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Ok, finally got my bows and horizontal bars done.
I will be making 2 top types for my Haflinger.
First config will be type"C" Slant back(4 door) as it is unique to the Bug Eye type Haflinger.
This type has the rear 45 deg bow hinged to the center bow near the base.

The second type will be the standard square back type "B"(4 door).
Once the tops are done , I will either source or make a set of rear doors.
Pictures to follow soon.
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Jim,

I have a slant back set of door frames and short boards together with a slope back tilt. The tilt and covers are all there but would be best as a pattern as the stitching has gone. Came from an Austrian one i believe. Happy to sell as I will never use them.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Here are promised pictures
Only four bends needed, bow naturally curves on top when installed.

Here is the bender

I started with a salvaged center bow for the bow template. Next I drilled and tapped inner roll bar corners to mount horizontal bars.

Ended up doing the square back top first after welding one of the mounts back into the tail gate corner.
Only took about 35 min making and assembling all the mountings/pins on the new rear bow.
I will do the slant back bow mounting when I get a chance.
Here it is with the bikini tarp mock up
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Holy Smokes, Jim. That looks great!
What was the tube stock you used?
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

We used 3/4" .090 wall tube and 1/2" bar stock for the pins.
For the horizontal bars, I had some thin wall tubing from an old bed frame that I will change out later.
Still trying to find a good image of the type C slant back bow mounting as it is hinged to the door jamb bow.
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

So I found a little time to get started on making some rear doors using Steve's Cad file.
First had to build a flat jig as the bend is easier to deal with once the frame is welded together. When making jig, add 2mm to overall height to compensate for bend.
OK, here are some pictures:
Still have to assemble other side and add hinge and door handle mounts.
Will complete them as soon as I fix or replace my mig welder(wire feed died/plastic wire tension housing broke) :(
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Are you going to fab the hinges or is there an available hinge on the market? Also, where are you sourcing the lock/handle from?
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder