Latches for spare tire and gas can holders

Yakov

Latches for spare tire and gas can holders

Post by Yakov »

I don't know how common a problem this is, but the latches attached to the body meant to hold the "lid" of the spare tire and gas can holders were seized on my vehicle and no amount of twisting or penetrating oil would free them. My solution was to heat them up for a minute with a propane torch and then work them loose.

I guess this might either be rare problem, or a no-brainer solution, but I thought I'd post it anyway.
heinkeljb

Re: Latches for spare tire and gas can holders

Post by heinkeljb »

Yakov,

Every single Haflinger would have the same problem if the latches are not operated every once in a while - they are steel shafts in steel holes! They rust!

There is no real way to get oil or grease in to the two surfaces that move against each other unless you make one. Spray lots of penetrating oil at them and move them lots - keep doing that for the rest the time you own the Haflinger and you will never have a problem opening them again!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!