Early style Front Cab hoop

heinkeljb

Early style Front Cab hoop

Post by heinkeljb »

One for the knowledgeable type on here.

I know there are at least two sorts of cab hoops. There is a thick tube sort like the one I have on Lurch, then there is a thin tube one which I believe can have the top section taken off.

My question is this: On the thin tube sort, is there a "pin" fixed in one side of the tubing to allow you to join the bit together and if so which side is it fastened to? In other words, if you separate the top section from the bottom , in which piece is the "pin". The top section or the bottom section?

I have never seen a picture of a Haflinger with the front cab hoop removed where I can see the remaining section that is mounted behind the seats, so don't know the answer to my question!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Re: Early style Front Cab hoop

Post by Julian B »

Hi John,

The arrangement you describe is as per my 1962 Haflinger; the "roll bar" splits in two, more or less half way up the side. The top half has the male pins in the end, whilst the lower section has the female holes. You can sort of see what I mean in this photo.

As an added bit of cleverness, if you lift the top half off, turn it around by 180 degrees, it can then be slotted in to two sockets that are welded on to the back of the lower section, thereby acting as a form of storage. I don't have a photo to show you, but it really does work!
Attachments
2014-02-04_15_36_58.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Here is a better photo.
Attachments
Keisling_Hafling_Treffen__112.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Thanks Julian,

Just what I was after! I have been squirting the two joints with penetrating fluid every hour or so in the hopes that it will go in the direction it need to go in, Now I know which bit comes out of which bit I can drill a hole in each side and squirt some penetrating fluid inside the tubing where it will do more good.

Thanks again,

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!