Rivets

ogdenenterprise

Rivets

Post by ogdenenterprise »

carrying on from goatwerks thread regarding doors etc, can any one help? according to the parts book there are 2 lengths of rivets for the canvas hood (DIN7331) .
Q1, on the door /swing window are the rivets 10mm or 12mm long?
Q2, on the door pull handles the parts book states 4 x 10mm , there are 3 others that secure the middle folded parts, anybody know what length these are?
Q3, How does the main canvas secure to the frame work, I am guessing that they are secured by straps that wrap round the frame work and pass through eyelets (page 20/10 part 11). I have a LWB haf, Can anyone tell me how many fixings are required and their positions + how many rivets and what length. if you have a SWB it would help I can second guess for a LWB
Q4, are there 2 or 3 straps that run length ways from the rear door hoop and fix to the windscreen to stop the canvas sagging?
Q5, on the rear roll up door there are hooks attached , can you advise on how many are required and what length the rivets need to be.

as you can see from the answers I am seeking I am trying to prepare for when I have my canvas hood made, so heres hoping someone can answer some or all of my questions.

Dave
Bigdougal

Re: Rivets

Post by Bigdougal »

hi Dave,

Can you give me a couple of days to get the pruning of the vines finished and I will get the hood out of the hanger and photographed for you. Sorry for the delay.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Answer for question 2: The parts book gives the following B4x 10 x 11 which I take to mean the diameter of the hollow rivet is 4mm - that seems correct. I think the 10 refers to the diameter of the rivet head as this looks 10mm ( I haven't measured mine, will do so tomorrow), which leaves the 11 as the length of the rivet. I can't see the head diameter being 11mm - it's just such an odd number for something you can see. So my guess is 10mm for the head, 11 mm for the length.
The webbing strap door pull is folded over once at the ends, 11mm might be a bit long as the webbing is only about 3mm thick. This would make it 6mm when folded once and 9mm when folded 3 times. that leaves 3mm longer than the thickness of the item the rivet is going to hold which seems about right to me.
Question 1: I would say going by answer to question 2, that the rivets are 12mm long - which I would have said was a more "normal" length than 11mm as in question 2.

Can't help with the LWB canvas as that is something I am missing as well - was thinking of making my own variation of the theme, unless I pull my finger out and go and layout Julian's one as a pattern and take pictures and dimensions from that.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Another question regarding the rivets for the canvas hood and doors etc, anyone know what is the correct name for these type of (original) rivet , so I can source some on the net.

Dave