Sacrilege

Bigdougal

Sacrilege

Post by Bigdougal »

To checker plate or not checker plate? That is the question.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
AustHaflinger

Re: Sacrilege

Post by AustHaflinger »

Where are you going to checker plate?? If it is just going a decorative cover on something then be aware of rust issues under it. Of you are going to use it as a bed liner - it is heavy and moisture can form underneath.

I am not an advocate and prefer to use rubber matting.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Hi Garry,

I have been considering making up a piece to cover the platform and fitting with rivnuts having first laid down a very thick bed of waxoyl. The platform is in good nick having had everything fixed when the platform was off. The Haf needs to earn its living in the vineyard so the platform will take a bashing. The alternative is a marine ply cover.

Checker plate is always an emotive issue and I have seen many Land Rover owners excommunicated on varies Landy sites for the mere suggestion of fitting it.

Having said that I did fit it to the bonnet and wings of my ex forces TUL 90 given the MoD started fitting it to the Wolfs and the rebuilt 110's. I guess being alloy there is less of electrolysis.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

why not make a lift out box / liner .

not bolted in .

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I would go a heavy rubber mat - the type that has fabric reinforcing like conveyor belt rubber. It is tough and can simply be rolled up when the tray needs cleaning/checking.

Think of the added weight if covering the tray with thick enough plate that will protect it.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Doug,

You say the rear platform has been fixed - are you talking "original" fixed as in rear engine cover above the level of the rest of the platform, rear seat lids flush and just the ribs making the platform not completely flat?

If so, how is your checker plate layer going to work?

If you need a completely flat bed then you will have to raise the level to the height of the side rails and that will mean having to put supports underneath to prevent it bowing in the middle.

A marine ply tray with central supports and blocks to act as guides along the side would be easy to side on or off, would allow you to stand in the middle without bowing down in the middle.

At the end of the day, you are the one who is going to live with the Haf, so A) paint it what ever colour you like, B) alter it however you like!

Having said that, standard vehicles will always command a premium if you want to sell it.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
cascade.king

Sacrilege

Post by cascade.king »

Rubber "cow mat" or "horse stall" mat. Purchase a big one from a farm store, and trim to fit. You can take it up when you are done, and hose it off for cleaning. 4x6 foot ones cost under $40 USD in my area.

Here is a Mule with trimmed mats..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424827552.066835.jpg
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Love the mat and the Mule, I always wanted one . That, and a Lohr Fardier.

John, when I said that the platform was fixed I should have said repaired. It is totally standard.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

In which case you're going to end up with no end of rubbish in the foot wells, putting things on and off will involve making sure they don't catch on the side rails, engine hump and the foot well lids.

I took some bramble we had cleared from the garden down to the local amenity point (Rubbish dump) and had to fight virtually every piece off the back as it caught on everything - lots of hooks on brambles, but even so.

The rubber mat does look like the way to go, can be rolled up when not required.

Someone in the past had been using cement on the back of Lurch and I am still finding lumps stuck to the platform!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

I once had a friend who filled the front of his Hillman Imp with ready mix to improve the handling.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
blazing928

Post by blazing928 »

I use a piece of fake grass upside down, one advantage is that you can easily pull it out with the dirt when the weight gets down. Works a treat with the bodgy sides as well!
Attachments
Working haf
Working haf
Nigel

Haflinger 1973 700 APT2,
sold- Haflinger 76 Vic rego LCT 131 - sold mid 80's - where is it????
Porsche 87 928S4, Cayenne D, GLS350d, Alfasud x 5,
Ducati 907IE x 2, Lambretta LI150 S3, Vespa 150
Flinkel Fluff GT,
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

You can also turn the grass up the correct way and use it for teeing off :D
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

For some reason I just read this post, OP.

For anyone looking to do this, and an alternate item, look for Horse Stall Mat. It's a very thick, recycled rubber mat. I've been using it for years for truck beds, archery target backers, etc.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch