Windshield glass replacement

Yakov

Windshield glass replacement

Post by Yakov »

Has anyone replaced the windshield panes by themselves, or is it something best left to an expert? I took out the old and cracked screens and they consisted of two panes sandwiched together. Is that how all Haflinger windshields should look like? I bought the new rubber seals from Haflinger Technik, so do I need to sandwich two sheets of glass together? Is there any kind of sealant used there?

I don't want to screw it up as the seals are so darned expensive...
Goatwerks

Re: Windshield glass replacement

Post by Goatwerks »

Use cord string and glass cleaner, takes a few moments each panel.
Put the rubber on the glass. wrap string in groove under lip across top, down sides and across bottom, crossing the sting ends.
Next put bottom edge of rubber lip over frame, center the glass, have an assistant hold glass onto frame opening with palms open, keeping slight tension on glass. Now evenly pull the string ends pulling the rubber over the metal lip, reposition glass as needed(pull down a little), manipulate corners and pull across top .
After the lip is secured all around the window, gently push in with palms to gently seat the glass into the gasket.
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I replaced the rubbers on my windscreen last year - each side had only one piece of glass, and I am 99% sure that they were the originals.

Being a coward I asked a local windscreen repairer to do it for me, but Jim's comments above make it sound easier than I feared it might be.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The glass probably should be replaced with modern laminated glass. You can get suitable glass via a "Plant Glazing" company. The sort that replaces glass on diggers and thing an building sites.

They could also fit the glass for you for not much extra over the cost of the glass I am sure, and would probably do it as part of the deal in any case.

Laminated (two layers of glass with a clear plastic layer in between is better than toughened glass which breaks in to thousands of tiny pieces when it breaks. Laminated stays in one piece - takes a lot to actually make a hole through it!

John

p.s.

Choose a suitable size on the rope, too thin and it might cut your new rubbers if you get it stuck and keep pulling and too thick might mean you can't get the rubber lip on to the inside of the metal frame to start things off!
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Yakov

Post by Yakov »

Thanks for the technique and rope tip, Jim and John. I will attempt this as soon as I learn how to repair the rust holes in the windshield frame... Never done any kind of filling work before.

For the sake of reference, John at HaflingerTechnik told me that the seal he sold me was for 6mm double laminated glass.