Repairing holes in a roof canvas

Julian B

Repairing holes in a roof canvas

Post by Julian B »

The short canvas on my 1970 LWB has a load of holes in it, and I'd like to patch it up. Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best method / product short of replacing it which I don't want to do? I don't even want to take it to a man-with-a-sewing-machine, so some form of iron-on patch might be best?

The canvas was presumably black when new, but is now a natty shade of faded grey. ;)

TIA
Attachments
DSCF0299.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Bigdougal

Re: Repairing holes in a roof canvas

Post by Bigdougal »

Glue a patch of canvas either side of hole and then finish off with a speedy stitcher.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Julian,

How about this?

http://www.belltent.co.uk/tear_aid

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Thanks both - I have ordered a roll of Tear Aid and will report back with how I get on.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Just got back from a 3000km trip in my Landie 101 that has a very old canvas top that is failing. I carried some pieces of canvas and used the hardware product "Liquid Nails" to glue patches of canvas on holes and rips as they developed before and during the trip. Liquid nails sticks tenaciously to canvas and worked an absolute treat. I have tried Gaffa Tape in the past but it does not stick well to canvas and peels off in the breeze. Later I tried canvas stuck on with 'contact adhesive' which worked OK but peels up at the edges. As a short term pick I used iron cloth repair patches which actually worked pretty well but a bit difficult to use an iron on the side of the road.

Liquid nails works then best and can even be used to repair small holes without patches.

The best solution is what I am doing is a new top - this was the last trip for mine and I have a new one to go on for next trip. The Haflinger top is OK but is home made and also needs a new top.

Good luck with it.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Obviously the area surrounding the hole in the canvas should be clean and dry, bit difficult if you are out and about! Still get both sides clean and dry, put a decent sized patch over the hole, the edges of which are likely to be rather frail, so patch needs to cover on to "better" canvas.

Put patch material on both sides of the hole if you can.

If you really want some work, then you can do a repair like they do in the aeroplane business:

Trim edges of hole till you have a regular shape. Make a patch panel big enough to go on to the good canvas by about 2 inches (50cm), stick this / sew this to the inside of the canvas. Then have another exactly the same size and shape as the hole you created (that's why you make the hole a regular shape). Now stick / sew this on from the outside: You then end up with an outside surface which is the same height (give or take you material thickness's) and should't have any edges to catch in the wind and peel up.

John

p.s.

Hope you had a good time Gary! You know you should have taken the Haflinger!!
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:You know you should have taken the Haflinger!!
With the benefit of hindsight - no way - the speeds travelled at were too high for my V8 let alone a flat twin. The last day I drove just under 900km in 11 hours.

Not wanting to hyjack the thread i will leave it there.

cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)