Variations on soft tops and doors

Bigdougal

Variations on soft tops and doors

Post by Bigdougal »

I have recently bought 4 doors and slant back tilt for what I assume was a Swiss or Austrian vehicle originally. I bought it online so didn't get a chance to give it a good eyeball. The Door skins and tilt are plc and close to NATO Green. I was after the doors so the tilt was a bonus. Good job as I wasn't expecting a slant back.

What I was not expecting was that the front door hinges are made from a far heavier gauge steel than all the hinges I have seen before,,and the rear doors which are complete with vehicle side boards have hinges in totally different positions to my hood sticks. Anyone else,had this experience, seen similar.

My dilema is do I modify or sell on.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Goatwerks

Re: Variations on soft tops and doors

Post by Goatwerks »

Post some pictures.
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Front and rear door
Attachments
Rear door
Rear door
Front door
Front door
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

I lie, that was 2 rear doors , front door below.
Attachments
Front door
Front door
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Those hinges on the front door are definitely home made! The factory put far more effort in to the metal plate part by putting curves on them - not straight lines.

I haven't seen any rear doors which include the bottom metal part like your pictures, the side panels stop short if you have doors and the door frame (made of tubing) goes down to the side rails. The canvas would go all the way to the side rails just like the front doors.

You have a dilemma as you say, modify either your Haf or the new doors / Tilt to make it all fit, or sell the stuff on and hope you can find more original stuff at a later date. Really depends on how much the doors and tilt cost you and are you likely to get at least that much back if you sell the stuff on, as the next person might be a little bit more Hafi savi!

As I don't have any sort of frame for Lurch, I could make the frame to accommodate those altered ones!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Hi John,

Well I have learnt a few things over the last few days.

There are at least 3 different lengths of side panels for SWB Hafs. Full length ones that run from the rear to forward hood stick, short ones like I have on my Haf and mid length ones which are found on military Haffs that have slant back tilts. Tilt backs have rear doors that have a short length of side panel, complete with locking mechanism and 2 hinges on its forward edge. As I said there could even be more.

I am not sure that the hinges are home made. I have a set of the ones you described and when I fitted them to one of the forward doors they do not reach the tube that receives the hinge. Perhaps they are very early models and beefed up for miltitary use.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

John, see attached photo of short rear doors such as mine in use
Attachments
image.jpg
Short rear doors
Short rear doors
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Austrian and German military Haflingers had the "short" rear doors.
Just change out the hinges on the front doors and they should be fine.