Haflinger "Pathfinder" Lucas reflector.

cascade.king

Haflinger "Pathfinder" Lucas reflector.

Post by cascade.king »

So.. The Lucas lamps used on the Pathfinder variant were widly used across a number of British Leyland and other UK marks. OEM and reasonable equivalents are generally available in the marketplace.

The parts that are giving me trouble are the 2 rectangular reflectors, mounted inboard of the rear lamps.

These list as Lucas SAE A 68 2.2

I have seen similar reflectors mounted at the end of rubber plinths on 70's era Jaguars, but have never seen this particular unit.

Luckily, I have 1, but I'll need a pair. If anyone knows where I could find this unit, or which vehicles used this one, please let me know.
image.jpg
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
StuartR

Re: Haflinger "Pathfinder" Lucas reflector.

Post by StuartR »

Try Rimmers in the UK they may well be able to help out.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/

Or
www.holden.co.uk

www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk

Happy Hunting
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Mike,

RDS Parts in New Orleans, LA has these. Go to http://www.rdsparts.com/series-lamps.htm

Steve H.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

So far a search using Google has not turned up that particular reflector. If I get the chance at the weekend I will visit my local "classic car" accessories shop - they have lots of old catalogs which should allow us to find it.

Can you post a picture of the back of the reflector to show the mountings?

Thanks,

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Mike & John,
Although found on the Pathfinder's rear taillight panel, I think Mike's reflector is also part of the assembly of a Lucas L841 side marker light used on US Pathfinders. It is available as individual parts from RDS Parts in New Orleans, LA-USA.
Here's a photo of the parts breakdown from the RDS website.
Cheers,
Steve
L841Parts.jpg
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Nope, it isn't part of the L841.

The reflectors are similar in appearance and size, but the similarities end there.

The photos show the reflector, along with a damaged L841.

Different mounting, different surround. Different lettering on the reflector.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Mike
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Thank Mike,

Now I can go visit the guy with a the old Lucas catalogs and hopefully find the correct Lucas part number. The numbers on the front do not produce any results via Google.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Mike,

Can you clean up the back of the reflector and see if there are any numbers / code on the back? I have found one picture on the web which I think is the same thing. It just say for Triumph MG - which is a lot of help - NOT.

Thanks,
John

pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hello,

I was also looking for the same reflectors since I also have a Pathfinder model with the same rear light assembly. Luckily, both reflectors were still there, but on one, a stud is broken, as you can see on the following pictures (however it should be still mountable).

The writing on the back says Lucas RER 22. That reflector should be available, but usually with a different frame, which has two holes for screws, see e.g. here: http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/lucas-re ... rs--pair-/

If you find a source for the correct reflector, I'd also be tempted to buy a pair or so.

Kind regards,
Constantin
reflector01.jpg
reflector02.jpg
reflector03.jpg
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

From the "googling" I have done, there should be a Lucas part number along the lines of 57113 (which produces a reflector for an MG Magnette mark 4)

I tried various searches starting from 57099 but did not turn up the correct reflector. I am sure if some more searches where done say starting from 57000, that one number should produce the correct item. There is one picture on Google's Images which I think is the same item, but it does not link to anything meaningful.

I haven't managed to get to my local shop which still has a lot of old parts catalogs and I am sure they have a Lucas one. If I find it I will post it up for all to see!

John

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Guess what I found!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUCAS-SAE-A-68- ... r&x=51&y=2

Better jump on them quick as they are the one ones I have found!!

John

cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Somebody got them.. But not me.
Mike
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Shame, :shock: I am still looking for the vehicle(s) they were fitted to.

John

HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

I am still looking for the vehicle(s) they were fitted to.

John
Hi John,

If you have a source of info for Morgan cars try the earlier Plus 4 model. Here's a photo of a 1985 with reflectors below the red brake lamp that looks very similar. The newer Morgan Plus 8 also has these but seem to have exposed mounting screws whereas the early years Plus 4's appear to have hidden screws.
1985-Morgan-Plus_4-176131385571098.jpg
For others with a US Pathfinder, the Morgan Plus 8 Roadster uses the same Lucas rectangular side markers (L841) as well as the special stippled lens pattern (L794) brake and turn signal indicators as your trucks. These parts are available in the USA at Morgan dealers.

Steve
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

UPDATE- I found a UK dealer website that shows the Lucas reflector used on a 1970 Morgan Plus 4 and they have stock on hand of these reflector parts. I've sent an email asking for more details.

Steve
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Found one.. But it'll take a fair bit of time to get to me..
image.jpg
Mike
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

By the way, the Morgan +8 uses a different reflector unit. It is the one with the holes drilled on the short sides that the screw goes through. Its the SAE A69 2.2..

The Pathfinder is the A68.

Over on The Real 4x4's group, "TechMOGogy" (Dan, who also owns a Pathfinder) identified the reflector as being used on the quarter panels of the Triumph Spitfire Mk3. Lucas service part# 54578496.
http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... =28&t=8886

I have one coming my way.. (only needed one).
Mike
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Well done! One more thing to cross off the "hard to find" list.

John

HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Over on The Real 4x4's group, "TechMOGogy" (Dan, who also owns a Pathfinder) identified the reflector as being used on the quarter panels of the Triumph Spitfire Mk3. Lucas service part# 54578496
Hi Mike,
It looks like Triumph only used them on the Spitfire Mk3 in 1969 as none of the other years I looked at included anything on the rear quarters.
This is similar to what Morgan did and only used these particular reflectors for 1970 on their Plus 4. You are quite correct, as I also mentioned in my earlier post, the Morgan Plus 8 used a reflector with holes through on the short sides (made by Hella per Morgan Motors website).

Steve
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

.. replacement reflector arrived post from Australia. The above listed part number is correct.

By the way, I also eBay dived for replacement rear side markers (you can see how bad mine were above).

Pro tip, the L841 was used on MANY MANY vehicles in the early 70's. The only difference from car to car was the rubber plinth that followed the vehicle body line. Reproduction "Flat" back plinths for the MG Midget are available for short money. Find an deal on a unit with a crap plinth, and you will save big bucks. I just bought 2 L841 units off a Jensen Interceptor and 4 new plinths for less money than some listed single L841s

Now I have all the parts for 4 clean marker lamps, with brightwork, both red and amber!
Mike