Solid sheet headache panel?

Czechsix

Solid sheet headache panel?

Post by Czechsix »

I've got a Swiss truck, but one of the interesting things on it is a solid sheet of steel, with some waterjet cut slots to see through, in the middle at head height.

Anyone else seen a model or mod like this? Any idea where it came from, or what the purpose or unit was?
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
heinkeljb

Re: Solid sheet headache panel?

Post by heinkeljb »

Without a picture, I am having a hard time imagining your "sheet of steel". Are we talking about on the cab behind the driver?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Yep, that was a good description, wasn't it? ;D

Exactly, heinkel - covers the entire roll bar behind the cab.

I don't have a good pic of it handy...this pic is in front of Jim's place, but might give you an idea....

Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Can't say that I have ever seen one like that, either in the UK or during one of several Treffens in Italy, Austria or the Netherlands. By looking at the way it attaches to the roll bar, do you feel that it is "home made" or original spec?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

That's the thing, Julian - this wasn't cheap to make. The slots are probably waterjet cut, very accurately done. The stitch welds are nicely done too. It doesn't have the feel of a "home made" hack job to it. It almost looks factory, to me - but I've never seen another one. Which isn't surprising, it's not like I've seen many Hafs to begin with.

I'm not a big fan of it, is the thing. But if it's original, or actually had been done while it was in military service, I'd leave it there and just deal with it. If it's just a regular addition done by a previous owner....it'll come off. Grind out the stitch welds and it'll pop off.

I'll take a couple of detail pics today so that you can see what I mean by the construction quality.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

One presumes it was put in place to act as both strength on the "roll bar" ridge tube and to provide protection against cargo intrusion into the cab area.

Unless this was an army addition, the original cargo barriers were only half the height of that.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
SAM

Post by SAM »

Hi All

I read somewhere once the Swiss used these as missile launchers. Could it be something to do with that?

Sam
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Sam - didn't even think of that, good idea. Off to run down some pics!

ETA: Back, no joy on that idea. Looks like they'd actually knock down the windshield, and try to get more or less of a flat deck for launching.
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

AIUI there were two types of missile launchers - some with no bulkhead on the right hand front side, and others that were more "normal". But neither had a rigid rear cab wall.

Some of the more normal Bantams had an articulating rear panel - does yours lower like this?

http://www.loutan.net/olivier/wp-conten ... am-02d.jpg

http://www.loutan.net/olivier/wp-conten ... am-04d.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Very interesting, Julian.

The one I have is a solid mount, no parts fold. Maybe I'll pull the canvas off tomorrow and take a few pics so everyone can get a better look, that might generate a few more ideas.
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Most likely done in Swiss motor pool. I looked at it closely when it was here. If you want to remove it, just pull the roll bar and grind the welds.
On the Plus side, it does give extra strength to roll bar.
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

That's kinda what I was thinking - more or less of a field or unit mod. Which unit, and what purpose?

Come to think of it, I need to sand some paint down, I think, and see if I can find any unit markings. Or did the Swiss use replaceable placards instead of painting directly on the body, like the USA does?

Off to check more pics out!
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Here's a pic of the back of it...

nice welds.....