Where to mount rear mudguards

Adam

Where to mount rear mudguards

Post by Adam »

Hello out there, my name is Adam and am slowly putting my recently purchased haf back together. It came with some fabricated mud guards, not sure if from Haflingertechnik or locally made,? Obviously go behind engine inspection plates and a few other holes that I assume are for rear light wiring. Just trying to get right to keep everything in proportion. Will try put a few picks up. Any photos of where they should be would be greatly appreciated, cheers Adam
Attachments
IMG_2711.JPG
heinkeljb

Re: Where to mount rear mudguards

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Adam,

Exactly where you have them as shown in your picture! There should be a grommeted hole from the engine bay near the mounting point holesnyoi are using that would take the woes for the rear lights.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Cheers John, there's tomorrow's job sorted then, thanks
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Adam - you have that piece the wrong way around. The side edge of the guard faces the front of the car not the rear as you have it.

See how it is on this car.
PIF_217_4_B.jpg
PIF_217_5_B.jpg
PIF_217_8_B.jpg
I suggest you go into Mr Google and download every pic of Haflingers you can find and go through this forum as well - the pics and zooming them are a great resource in working out how things fit etc - this is in addition to the parts manual which can be confusing at times.

If you zoom in on the pics above you can see how the mudguard goes (particularly the last one) - (click on the pic and then use the zoom function to get right in) - there are holes in the rear of the tray either side of the engine tray where the top of the guard bolt through - not sure of the sides as it is too dark to check mine now.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Adam,

Corrected, (again)! Closer look at your picture does indeed show that you have that particular mud guard on the wrong side of the vehicle. Correct part of the vehicle, I.e. the rear, but you need to swap sides!!

As suggested - look at pic of other Haflingers BUT remember, I have never sen two Haflingers that are exactly the same except two which were restored by the same person at the same time! So take what you see with a pinch of salt and have your own take on things!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks all, I think my picture may be a bit confusing. Pretty sure guard is in correct position, they are both the same. Thanks for sending pics, great looking bus, yes, have been looking at as many images as I can find, cheers
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Adam wrote:Pretty sure guard is in correct position
Keeping the top of the guard at the top - spin it 180 degrees and it should be right.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

In garrycol's third photo the guards' two side panels are facing forward; in Adam's photo ditto. I'm confused as to where the difference is?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I think any confusion is down to whether the rear mud guard has the bent side pieces pointing to the front or not. Sometime a picture can make it look like it they are on the rear side which would mean that particular mud guard was on the wrong side of the vehicle.

Think of the mud guard as dust pan, the folded up edges should point to the front of the vehicle.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Relooking at Adam's original pic I can see Julian's point - an optical illusion maybe as I can now see the that mudguard in both positions - with the sides pointing to the rear (wrong) and when I look back the sides pointing to the front (right). If it was painted I think it would be clear cut.

For Adam, despite what we see in your pic or what we dont see, the mudguard goes as per the orange Haf above. The guard, if made correctly. should have holes at the top that line up with the widely spaced holes in the rear of the tray.

As you have noted, there are different rear tail lights - here are mine - genuine Haflinger - Aussie early 70s build.
2013-04-22_14-16-27_810.jpg
Now there is a bracket behind those lights that is spot welded to the mudguard and like the guards bolts to the rear of the tray - providing support for the guard. So at the rear of the tray on either side, near the back you should have two holes for the guard bolts and a little further back and about 2" apart you should have two more holes for the bracket.

But depends on your year of manufacture.

Good luck with it.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Adam

Post by Adam »

Any ideas on where wiring from lights goes?? A mate suggested running light cables on inside of mudguard may not comply with trying to get vehicle registered, the ultimate goal!!!! Would I need to fabricate a cover, obviously not ideal running wiring on inside of mudguards anyway!!!!
Adam

Post by Adam »

My mudguards also come with an additional plate to mount lights perpendicular instead of on an angle as are the guards! Maybe I'm overthinking it all, and should bolt guards down then weld light brackets to guards. There are no pre drilled holes in guards.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Adam,

Here are some pictures which might help:-
rear mud guard mounting 1a.jpg
rear mud guard mounting 2a.jpg
rear mud guard mounting 3a.jpg
rear mud guard mounting 4a.jpg
If you look carefully you will see there are two mounting points on the main mud guard which are about 15 cm apart and two additional ones which are nearer the back that are about 5 cm apart.
top mounting points1.jpg
So there is a second bracket which is welded at the bottom to the main mudguard on to which the light units are bolted. The cabling for the light unit runs in a plastic sleeve from the side wall of the engine bay out to behind the main mud guard and into the back of the light units, so it is very tucked away and should pass any vehicle inspection.

Ask for more photos of things you are not sure about - there are no silly questions - anything we put up here is a resource for others that come after you as well, so it is worth our while posting replies.

John

Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks again for all your help, will sort out today, cheers