Where will you find Rust

AustHaflinger

Where will you find Rust

Post by AustHaflinger »

I often look for Haflinger videos on Youtube and missed this one from a few months back.

I think it is good as it shows all the typical spots where rust hides and this is where you need wash and hose out when you have been offroad. For me I had rust in the double panels that the steering box bolts too and the body reinforcing panels in the front wheel wells - there was a little in the rear footwells but thankfully that was about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42MrnYjk9dU

Like most Youtube videos the music in itself is probably not suited to the subject of the video but you have gotta love the "Oils" turned right up and the ex The Honourable Peter Garrett AM MP singing at full voice though the uncoordinated dance is a shocker.

For the non Aussies - the band is Midnight Oil (one of our greatest) and the lead signer is Peter Garrett who is a conservation activist (Greenie) and was a Minister in our Government about 10 years ago - as a Member of Parliament he continued to be the led singer of the band though performances were reduced.

See you come to TheHaflinger.com and not only do you learn about Haflingers but you also learn about other things from around the world :D

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Re: Where will you find Rust

Post by heinkeljb »

Where will you find rust on a Haflinger? Maybe the title should be "Where will you find good metal on a Haflinger"?

Everywhere!

Only real way to get rid of it is to use electrolysis, but that means building a tank big enough to hold a Haflinger completely submerged.

So, I will continue to fight the Rust where ever and whenever it becomes a problem!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Re: Where will you find Rust

Post by Julian B »

When I did a bare metal (repair &) respray a couple of years ago, by far the worst area for rust was the double skin below the steering column; The rear footwells needed a bit of patching, & I had previously sorted out a leak in the fuel tank, but elsewhere was remarkably sound.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |