Clutch cable and wiring loom

Adam

Clutch cable and wiring loom

Post by Adam »

Hopefully not asking too silly questions??would love some photos of where wiring loom goes through floor pan and also clutch cable?? Cable comes out a flared tube about 6 inches before floor plan! I think dale from Haflingertechnik showed a photo of a bent tube that clutch cable travels through to align straight with pedal?? Once springs arrive for clutch withdrawal race I will re assemble and hopefully find some gears??????
Julian B

Re: Clutch cable and wiring loom

Post by Julian B »

Herewith some photos of how a RHD clutch cable is routed. Some smaller arrows (in photos 2, 3, & 5) point to brackets.

Hope that helps!
Attachments
Lightroom_Catalog_lrcat_-_Adobe_Photoshop_Lightroom_-_Library-2.jpg
Lightroom_Catalog_lrcat_-_Adobe_Photoshop_Lightroom_-_Library.jpg
2014-02-24_10_52_53-2.jpg
2013-12-01_09_46_09.jpg
2013-12-01_09_44_21.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

The wiring loom goes up through the cover(s) within the footwell - it can get very tight to re-feed the required cables - I used a sleeve as shown. I can't quite recall where it goes on the underside, but almost certainly up above where the arrow is in the second photo - tucked up and away from the majority of dirt etc. From memory there are several pressed holes along the spine of the chassis to pass the loom through.

For fun, I also attach a photo of the old loom, as removed (and subsequently replaced) :shock:
Attachments
2013-09-19 09.55.28.jpg
b.jpg
2013-12-19 13.41.42.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Clutch cable come out from under the steering box and has a rubber sleeve that joins the metal tube from the footwell to the metal tube fixed to the running gear.
clutch cable tube1.jpg
Electrical cables run in either old woven sleeving or in modern plastic sleeving. There is a metal tube in the foot well which takes the cable through to the underneath of the platform and then along the centre in holes that have rounds edges so they won't cut the sleeving and held in place by tabs which are crimp the cables in place.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Adam

Post by Adam »

So if I cut a hole and weld in a metal tube into footwell inside the steering housing, I then just get a rubber sleeve between the chassis tube and the footwell tube? Sounds about right! I will post a few photos from what I can see, thanks
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Unless someone has done a repair on that part of the footwell, you should already have a hole for the steering box shaft and a short length of pipe for the clutch cable.

Take some pictures of the area and post them, so we can see the problem. Descriptions are all very well, but pictures help!

The rubber sleeve is there to cover the gap between the two bits of tube and will keep the grease in and the dirt out.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Sorry, didn't get around to take photo but did find rubber sleeve on pipe work at the chassis. Rubber sleeve about 100mm long. Also find some tubing among spares that I will have to heat and curve to get a direct route to pedal. Will take a pic in morning, cheers
Adam

Post by Adam »

Think footwell has been replaced! Will show what I have done in photo
Adam

Post by Adam »

Can't seem to upload photos, says message too short, will babble for a bit and see if that works
Attachments
IMG_2712.JPG
Adam

Post by Adam »

So now for speedo cable and wiring loom, will attach photo of cable and some possible brackets to house cable?? Footwell must be missing some of the original holes??
Attachments
IMG_2714.JPG
Adam

Post by Adam »

Have temporarily run wiring harness through large hole, could anyone point me in the right direction?? Thankyoi
Attachments
IMG_2715.JPG
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

There should be a hole under the accelerator rod mounting bracket and an upside down metal "U" channel for it to run in. Julian posted a picture which showed the wiring loom coming out just up fro the join of the footwell to the front cowl. I will take a picture of mine which has been repaired, badly as I didn't take the cables out when doing the welding, so allowances were made for that!

I am sure others can post better pictures.

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Adam, in case it helps / just so you know, the accelerator rod on RHD Hafs is normally protected by piece of metal - see attached photo. Doubt it matters, but worth noting.

On LHD machines the accelerator pedal is (almost) central, so the protection is not required.
Attachments
2013-12-19 13.41.57.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Adam,
On Julian’s picture in the post above you can see the “U” channel that the wiring loom runs in at the top edge of the accelerator rod cover. This by the way was originally spot welded in place but it probably would be better if you want a cover to make it so you can take it off for maintenance etc.

John

Adam

Post by Adam »

Great, I should be able to handle that, what about the speedo cable, not sure if the lugs in the picture with the slotted hole are for it????
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Those are for the flexible brake hoses - not use on some variations of Haflinger, so nott sure if you should be using them or not.
Do you have the brake system on it yet?

The speedo cable goes through the same hole in the footwell as the steering box / clutch cable in as much as it goes up to the dash from underneath the steering box saddle casting - at least I am pretty sure it does . Will have to do a 100% check when I get home this evening ~ approx another 3 hours!

John

Adam

Post by Adam »

Makes sense that it goes through the steering casing with brake line in grommeted hole, thanks
Adam

Post by Adam »

Brakes and lines already in place, just working out line from master cylinder to diverted at front of vehicle. Using solid brake line, not Flexi!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Adam,

There should be a flexible hose from the footwell to the 4 way splitter on the front tower. Other wise you will get vibration noise / metal fatigue fracturing of the pipe if you use a solid one. The platform is rubber mounted so can move relative to the running gear so it need to be a flexible hose.
The flexible hose goes into the 4 way splitter and then you have metal pipe which runs along the bottom lip of the footwell, it is protected by the front diff guard when that is in place.

Do you have the exploded parts book to show you part numbers of the various different parts? It is also useful to use for this sort of thing.

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

As shown in this photo.

As John says, trying to do anything on a Haflinger without a Parts Book is a very steep ask. In many ways it is even more useful than the Workshop Manual.
Attachments
2013-12-01_09_44_03.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK