Question for those with a Tow Bar

heinkeljb

Question for those with a Tow Bar

Post by heinkeljb »

Whilst Lurch's engine is out being looked at with a view to replacing the crank shaft and all the bearings etc. I thought I would deal with the dreaded rust that hits the bottom of the engine bay side walls.
Prior to welding in patches on the left hand side. Then on the right hand side, a much bigger repair section, has highlighted an issue which I would like to try and resolve before I actually weld stuff solid!

There is a gap between the engine bay lower closing bar with the hole in it for the hand crank and the tow bar. Can any one give me that dimension?
My one appears to have a gap which gets smaller from one side to the other and it would be nice to know which side of Lurch is nearer the correct size!
I doubt any two Haflingers will have the same gap but it might something that has a range which I can match.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Re: Question for those with a Tow Bar

Post by heinkeljb »

Taking the opportunity whilst the engine is out to deal with some of the issues created by the dreaded tin worm.

Started on the right hand side as you look from the back;
New bit almost ready to weld in1.jpg
Replacement section welded in;
Yet more clean up and paint.jpg
Then it was on to the other side.

Perforated bit cut out alongside replacement section;
replacement part.jpg
Then it will be onto cleaning up and painting!
Needs clean up and paint.jpg
John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Re: Question for those with a Tow Bar

Post by AustHaflinger »

I am glad I dont have your rust issues - had some rust where mud had stuck but is not a widespread issue.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)