Are we nearly there yet?

calicobramble

Are we nearly there yet?

Post by calicobramble »

I've been asked in the last few days if I took any photos of my expedition into the intricacies of the gear shift lever. I've been lax in so doing, mainly because the state of the rest of the chassis isn't at its photogenic best.

But I thought I'd come clean, so this is where I am starting from.

Lots to do
Lots to do
I've so far been concentrating on the mechanical essentials - steering, brakes, ignition, carburettor, gearbox, but in truth these are displacement activities for the main event.

BODYWORK

Wish me luck!

Best regards to All

Simon
heinkeljb

Re: Are we nearly there yet?

Post by heinkeljb »

Looks like a nice starting point if you can do your own welding and fabrication of sections. Having said that, you can buy a fair number of replica / reproduced panels / repair panels / even a complete platform if you have the money.

I have actually fabricated a fair number of repair panels using some oak sleepers and a chisel to produce the shape required, then a sheet of steel held in place by several screws round the outer edge. Then slowly using various shaped bits of metal, hammered the required shape into the sheet steel. Takes time, but it works.

Mechanical repairs are for most people a bit easier as should just be a case of unbolting the old / broken bit and bolting in the new..... except that doesn't work all the time on a Haf when you have to wonder at how something is done!

Good luck with the Haf!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Tajman

Post by Tajman »

Hello Calicobramble, thank you so much for making my day, A floor pan in worse order than mine!
I have managed to find an artisan craftsman welder person who has just finished mine, with a lot of attention to structure and strength. He even folded up the new rails.
Good luck with the challenge.
Attachments
IMG_20200510_103858218.jpg
IMG_20200510_103832887.jpg
IMG_20190905_144336858_HDR.jpg
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Tajman,

You platform is looking good. It is difficult to tell from the picture but it looks like you are missing the double skin section that fits under the drivers side footwell to prove extra strength to the steering box mountings.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

No doubt removed to deal with the rust that develops between the body and reinforcing plate - the plate is definitely needed to stop the steering/pedal box ripping out of the floor.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Tajman

Post by Tajman »

Yep, two new plates to form double skin and welded shim/spacers in between where the steering fixes. Its difficult to make the plates look ok unless you take the trouble to use the "fluted" type original plating with the raised sections. But on top, the fabricator made the raised sections and welded them on seperately to match it all , where he had cut out sections of rot.

I will be in need of a second seat frame and maybe lucky enough to get the soft furnishings, for the passenger side. Any body know where there is one?

In the picture, the area around the seat bases was extensively replaced, the rear feet boxes, and the rails , front ,one whole side and half the other.
Good luck to all. Jeff.
Attachments
94861738_151781729660483_2859448436648837120_n.jpg
94345060_151014139737242_8058234640235757568_n.jpg
IMG_20200513_143426078_HDR.jpg
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Jeff,
Just to try and keep things easy for people to find when they put a search in, can you make a new post for your build?
It’s not that we want to stop you posting, but if there are several people posting very similar pictures it becomes difficult to match any given platform to a particular person.

I am sure we all enjoy seeing the progress.

John

ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Hi Jeff,

The body is looking good, from start to now, how long has it taken?.

Dave.
Tajman

Post by Tajman »

Dave, ogdenenterprise,
Although I have done a lot of work dismantling the Haflinger and starting to rebuild it, I paid to get the floor pan shot blasted. Then I found a guy who is basically an artisan metal fabricator who was up to the challenge of replacing the rot and strengthening the floor pan and finishing with paint system for a reasonable price and locally. I consider myself lucky that happened. I can do most stuff but metal fabrication/welding is not one of them. It took him 3 weeks. From when I got the vehicle, it must be 10 months, I am semi retired and once I get a bone in my teeth, I usually go for it. For me its a lot about the challenge. During this period of lock down, I would " climbing the walls" without the project. Apart from getting yours hands dirty, learning , researching and fact finding are all part of the project. Far ahead, in my minds eye, I can see me pootling along a country lane in my Haflinger, feeling satisfied. Sorry , I digress .
Have you a project on at present? Jeff