Front Seats - Alternatives

AustHaflinger

Front Seats - Alternatives

Post by AustHaflinger »

At the moment I have the standard seats in the front of my Haflinger and they are in reasonable condition. However as we all know the backrest is very upright and the seat very flat so I tend to slide around a bit (even strapped in) and get a sore back.

Has any one fitted small bucket seats out of another car as a replacement for the standard seats? If so what make and model (hopefully something that was or is sold around the world. Also any particular issues in fitting as I would like the use the current mounting points and not have to drill additional holes in the body. I can make seat bases to fit if needed.

Pics would be good.

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Tajman

Re: Front Seats - Alternatives

Post by Tajman »

Hi Garry,
I did think about what front seats to put in my Haflinger. I only had one frame and very tatty upholstrey. So I did research on the internet and found that forklift truck seats were available in different types. Simple base and sometimes with built in lap belts. Also similar were mobility scooter seats.
In the end I managed to get another frame and got the seats reupholstered. I have yet to drive the vehicle, so not sure how comfortable it will be. I think I may have to pad out under the seat base for a start. At 6ft 3.5 inches , there may be some issues. Having just recently sat with the seat and pedals back in, I can see that 1 will have an issue with my size 12 (47 metric) boots, in the footwell. Well good luck. Jeff.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Jeff- yes there are a few alternatives (another are boat seats) and I have looked at them but I am hoping that some one has used seats that work and I can get the same seats here - I am not inclined to try experimenting at this stage.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

For those people who are really tall, don't have that issue myself, but who find that when they sit in a Haflinger for the first time, that the top of the windscreen is just where their line of sight wants to be. A couple of options spring to mind that have been carried out by others.

Less padding on the seat - I would not recommend this as the seats are far from comfortable for most people except for short journeys.

Putting a filler section between the bottom of the windscreen and the top of the front cowl. You would have to decide how you want to attach is to either the bottom of the windscreen or the top of the cowl and obviously where the hinges go depending on your choice.
Another option is to cut the windscreen frame and add material to give you a larger glass area. As the glass is flat, it would be easy to find a glazer who deals with "plant" machinery to cut you two suitably sized panes to fit.

Both of these option have a "KNOCK ON" effect to the roof. Canvas tops should still fit, unless you have added a great deal extra to the height. Problem would be that the slope on the canvas now goes the other way. This could be corrected by adding the same increase in height you applied to the windscreen to the Roll bar behind the front seats.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

I love my seats which were in my Haf when I bought it. Very comfortable and great sideways support, as you would expect out of seats from a Porsche 914 !!
49948578_2295932467288036_2745701892876140544_o.jpg
Tajman

Post by Tajman »

Oh yes, I like those Porsche seats. With regard to the head room, as I made the front and windscreen ,I added a couple of inches on the height from original measurements, to allow for my "extra" height . I have still to make the roll bar and pipe work, then get a hood made to suit.. Not quite original but I still have the poly cab to restore and fit if need be.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

wojo12 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:31 pm I love my seats which were in my Haf when I bought it. Very comfortable and great sideways support, as you would expect out of seats from a Porsche 914 !!49948578_2295932467288036_2745701892876140544_o.jpg
Yes those seats do look the goods but given that the 914 was never sold in Australia I dont think there will be much chance of finding something like that - well not for a reasonable price any way.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)