Wing Mirrows.

Tajman

Wing Mirrows.

Post by Tajman »

Any body know of a reasonable priced pair of wing mirrows that would fit on the side of the body work of a Haflinger. There is no bracket at present. I have looked at early Landrover after market that may work. They are all flat glass. I think the common 5x7 inch mirrows would be to big. They would need to fold in.
Also wondering which seat belts to fit. Lap belts would be most convenient. I have yet to Make and fit the roll/bar hood frame which would be needed for a 3 point shoulder belt.
Still waiting after 3 weeks for my new registration to come through. I read that DVLA are on strike due to lack of Covid working practices.
Gary in Australia , if you read this , I cycled through Hambledon your once home town, yesterday. Still was quiet and attractive.
Had my second jab today so soon the world will be the limit and maybe I get to see my partner in Sweden after 9 months.
Best wishes to all. Stay safe.
Jeff
AustHaflinger

Re: Wing Mirrows.

Post by AustHaflinger »

I really cannot help with mirrors except I did look at the Defender mirrors and I think they may fit. Haflinger Technik might be able to help.

Yes I do miss Hambledon - house I lived in had no front yard and was build right up to the road - like wise the rear courtyard was paved in old graveyard headstones - a bit strange

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/13 ... -1.0866804
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The problem with the Landrover mirrors, if you can live with their size is that the diameter of the original Haflinger mirror arm is a smaller diameter than the bracket that comes with the mirrors. So either you have to make up new brackets, or wrap tape or something similar to increase the diameter of the rods.

In fact the mirrors are actually badly placed as far as usability is concerned, They need to stick out a long way before you can really see what is behind you with them. Also the bigger the mirrors the more likely they are to shake due to wear in the mounting points. The originals have a rubber lump on them which actually is a vibration damper which you are supposed to move up or down to kill the vibration shake at the normal driving speed. I doubt many people know this and just think that lump of rubber is some sort of protection for when you fold the mirrors in!

Speaking of which, the bigger the mirrors the bigger the necessity to fold them in when you go off road as they catch on branches very easily.

I have put small Motorcycle one on Lurch, but really aught to have another look of some bigger ones as they are a bit too small.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

These are what I had in mind - would bolt straight up to the body as the haflinger ones do.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTC5217-x2-L ... SwM1FcZTVR
LR Mirrors.jpg
Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Tajman

Post by Tajman »

Thanks ,
I will need the brackets as well. I like the Defender ones but they are big and not "sympathetic" to the age and style of the vehicle. I found some advertised for early series Landys that might do. Link--https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-S ... 2454610.-- Cheap, I could make the brackets.
Gary, I will next time look out for the yellow house, sunflowers. Number 13 with grave stones? Spooky.
Jeff
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Tajman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:41 pm Gary, I will next time look out for the yellow house, sunflowers. Number 13 with grave stones? Spooky.
Jeff
What was spooky for a young Aussie guy living in this place was my first experience with a Bidet :? very continental - at the time these were alien to Aussie homes, and still are. I could never warm up to them - even when they have warm water :lol:

I hope you can sort your mirrors - given the way they bolt to the side of the vehicle maybe Technic Haflinger can help with the mounting brackets and even the entire assembly. I did buy a mirror head from them which bolted up to the mirror arm great but the glass fell out. The local glass shop cut up a new mirror and glued it in the housing and it has been perfect.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Not cheap, but Haflinger Tecknic were selling "original style but repro" stainless steel arms a while ago. I like mine, but IIRC the centring spring (or the centring detent) wasn't quite as strong as it needed to be.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |