Lurch is going to need some TLC.

heinkeljb

Lurch is going to need some TLC.

Post by heinkeljb »

If it isn't one problem after another.... My Haflinger Lurch has been sitting around during Covid restrictions not doing much. Did a trials the other weekend, now the petrol tank is leaking - looks like the seams at the top of the tank have gone.

I welded new sections in the bottom of the tank a couple of years ago and coated the internals with tank sealer, but obviously didn't get the top done with enough to prevent it leaking when the rust expands. Oh well, Guess what I'll be doing this weekend!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Re: Lurch is going to need some TLC.

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:38 am Oh well, Guess what I'll be doing this weekend!

John
Going to the burns unit of the local hospital after your tank blows up :o

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

First off:- siphon out most of a tank of petrol.
Yes I know there is a drain plug, but I don’t have a petrol container big enough for all the petrol in the tank to drain into.
Then take the petrol tank off, clean off all the paint and see what the damage is.

Maybe I will only get as far as draining the tank as I shall probably be babysitting my grandson as his brand new baby brother (born 10/4/21) will no doubt occupy his parents full time.

Oh well, it will happen when it happens!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I would just put through a tank sealer making sure you get it around the top. I did mine a couple of years back with the POR 15 product as the tank was weeping and fixed it a treat.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Having taken the fuel tank off to see how bad the leaks really are.
fuel tank leaks 1.jpg
I have decided I will take off the double skin layer and have a look at what is underneath. I'll add the picture of what I found a little bit later on once I have had dinner.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

You definitely need to see to any corrosion between the double skin but as I mentioned I have found the easiest way to deal with small holes in the tank itself is using a tank sealer like POR 15. It has a good ability to seal holes even large stuff - but it does have to be swished around to fully cover the inside and left for a number of days before filling with fuel.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Used a special spot weld cutter to cut the top skin free of the fuel tank, started off just doing the top spot welds and trying to fold the skin back, but there was some sort of foam sandwiched between the two surfaces, so I decided to take the skin off completely.
back of double skin layer.jpg
Will get round to dealing with that piece wen I have finished the tank. So started off by removing most of the rust with a wire wheel on an angle grinder. Then some rust remove solution.
started treatment 1.jpg
Busy making up a replacement piece of new metal to weld in along where the top spot welds are. Will probably also put a piece in down the middle section of the tank as that looks a bit pitted.

John

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Not been able to send much time dealing with the tank, but have made some progress. Pictures showing replacement piece of metal in place of the leaking section.
new metal in position
new metal in position
Tack welded in the replacement piece.
lots of tack welds
lots of tack welds
Then seam welded it.
seam welded
seam welded
Then I decided to make a new second skin section, but make an alteration to both it and how it is attached to the tank. New piece goes the whole length of the tank and is bolted in to captive nuts welded on the tank.
New second skin
New second skin
This gives a gap of about 1cm between the two.
drying tank after leak testing
drying tank after leak testing
Yes, I know it will fill up with crud, but as it is bolted on, just undo the bolts, give both pieces a wash. Bolt back on.

Still have to remove all the flash rust inside and then reseal the inside. I am still trying to work out how to stop the fuel pick up pipe from filling up with sealant. I wonder if I can find a piece of pipe that I can somehow manage to fit on the end near the drain hole and the seal the end of the pipe.
Make stoppers for the fuel gauge and the filler hole shouldn't be too difficult. I could then pour some paint in to cover the bare metal on the inside of the tank before adding the sealant.

John

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Finally managed to finish the repairs on Lurch's fuel tank. Fitted it and have discovered that it the time it has taken to get it sorted the fuel gauge does not work!
There must be a break in the wires somewhere but as they are buried in the wiring harness and I am not sure which wire is which. The colour of the wires at the tank end do not match the colours of the wires at the gauge end! I gave up and just ran another pair of wires from the fuel sender to the gauge. Not entirely sure I have fixed the issue as there obviously wasn't a lot of petrol in the tank when I had finished fitting it in case I had to drain it out if it started leaking.
Hopefully this week end I will put a it more in and the gauge will show a level!

John

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Finally finished repairing the fuel tank and re-fitted it. Now lets hope that the E10 fuel we now have does not eat the lining or cause more leaks else where when the rubber gets eaten by it!
Repaired and fitted2.jpg
John