Water Ingress from the Tray

AustHaflinger

Water Ingress from the Tray

Post by AustHaflinger »

My Haflinger is a swb with a canvas truck cab. The tray at the rear does not have a cover and is open to the elements.

When parked down hill, like it is at my house, and it rains all the water that gathers in the tray runs forward and into the cab area floor soaking everything.

I was thinking of installing a piece of L shaped aluminium across the cab floor behind the seats to keep the water out.

Anyone done this? or have a better idea.

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Re: Water Ingress from the Tray

Post by heinkeljb »

I park Lurch the other way round on a slope so that the cab is uphill, that way the water runs away from the cab. I also have put a removeable "A" frame over the bed on which I have a tarpaulin which keeps
95% of the rain off the bed. Tarpauin is held in place by rubber straps to keep it reasonably taut.

Obviously, the best solution is to put it under cover so it doesn't get wet in the first place, but I can't do that.

Another option would be to get the equivelent of a caravan cover to put over the whole thing. A large canvas tarpaulin cut and either sewn or fastened in some other way that would make a shaped cover for it would also be a good option.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:25 am Another option would be to get the equivelent of a caravan cover to put over the whole thing. A large canvas tarpaulin cut and either sewn or fastened in some other way that would make a shaped cover for it would also be a good option.

John
Thanks John, yes been there and done that but without hood bows in the back I end up with about 500kg of water in the back.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

You could use Water pipe to make some bows for the back to hold a cravan type cover up so it does not let the water pool in the back.

I have seen European Haf's with a tarp just streched tight in all directions on the back. That would keep the water off, but unless you parked on a slope or under a roof of some sort, eventually the Tarp will get a dip in the middle that collects the water like a swimmming pool. That's why you need some sort of frame under it in the middle to give it a slightly higher point so the water runs off over the edges.

If you don't want to go to the hassle of making some sort of "A" frame for the back to hold the canvas cover up in the middle, then you will have to figure out a method of making a "Dam" across the bed behind the cab to stop the water from running under the front canvas. You will still end up with 500kg of water in the back until it over flows the sides or your "Dam". Better not to have water in the back in the first place.

If you come up with a solution, share it so I can do the same on Lurch!!!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!